Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bug_girl

Want a simple hand embroidery project (need help)

bug_girl
15 years ago

There donÂt make embroidery kits anymore, they way they used to. The make only cross stitch and crewel or counted cross stitch, which is even worse. Cross stitch is very simple, and it looks ok, but I wanted to practice some other stitches. I was looking for kits like I used to have when I was young. I found them only on eBay. I think I should draw my own design on fabric for embroidery, but I donÂt know how to do this. I thought about the iron on designs, but I am sort of worried they would fail. If you use ball point pen, but it get cover up my stitches like satin stitch, does it matter if itÂs not wash out ink? ItÂs very hard to make satin stitch look neat and not puckered, so I donÂt want to spend a lot of money, just have some practice type of fabric. I did buy one of the vintage kits, but I just hate to make it now, when I need to practice with something else that is more of a simple. I did take a hand embroidery class in high school.

I did see a few embroidery kits in BeverlyÂs, one is on pillow cases, but they are standard size, and I have queen size pillows. The other was for an infantÂs room, and the other was a series of Japanese costumed women, that would be much too difficult. I think the new embroidery machines mean, no one does it by hand anymore. I have an embroidery foot, but itÂs much too hard to use it. I wanted something that was by hand to kill odd hours, when I watching TV. I considered ribbon embroidery, but it looks very hard, and I donÂt have a teacher. I think crewel is too difficult to pull the yarn through. If I use a crewel canvas, itÂs going to be too difficult to work with floss. Can some suggest a pen for fabric drawing, or tell me if the iron on designs really work? If so what brand do you use? It would be so easy if I could just find a small simple kit, like they used to make.

Comments (9)

• msmeow
    15 years ago

Check out Herrschners - they have lots of embroidery. You might also try The Nordic Needle.

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Herrschners

• sayhellonow
    15 years ago

This may not be what you're looking for, but Wal-Mart (believe it or not) has pillow cases with various stamped designs printed on them. And they come with the thread. I remember learning how to embroider as a very young girl and wanted to renew my skills. So one day when I was in Wal-Mart I just happened to see those and picked up a few. Now if I can just find the time... sigh

• bug_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, there is no Walmart in my area. I tried Kmart, and they did not have anything. I have to go to the East Bay, so I don't go there very often, to go to Walmart. I got some fabric markers, to draw my own designs. I just wish they had more kits on the market. When I bid on them on ebay, I get out bid, because they are vintage, and the one I won, I am afraid to use it, because it's vintage, and I don't want to ruin it. LOL

• clcunnin
    15 years ago

Start out simple with a small piece of muslin, and draw on the muslin with a pencil (#2). Your stitches will cover the pencil and it will wash out. You can buy marking pencils that also wash out, but I find that I always have a simple pencil.
    Aunt Martha is a brand of iron ons you can get. I get mine at the Ben Franklin or at Walmart. Use a hoop to hold your fabric taunt, I find one that fits my hand versus fits the design. You can aslo trace a simple design from a coloring book. Redwork is a nice way to start, because it only uses one color thread.

• sayhellonow
    15 years ago

Here's a website that offers a lot of different designs and kits. The link doesn't work, so just copy and paste the URL.

http://www.ericas.com/embroidery/ironontransfers.htm

• bug_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I had never heard of red work, I just looked it up. It's good to know, that some people still appreciate the old fashioned ways. I just found a yahoo group also for that. I am sure I can get more help there.

• bug_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I could not get into that yahoo group. They rejected me in spite of the nice note I sent with my application. I was almost about to start, but I misplaced the hoop I bought. Is plastic or wood better for hoops?

• sayhellonow
    15 years ago

I just remembered this: A lot of antiques shops and second-hand shops sell used linens, and a lot of those have hand embroidery on them. I have some that I love. It would be fairly easy to re-create those designs with a pencil, as someone else already suggested. That being said, here's the place I believe has exactly what you're looking for: http://www.patternbee.com/MENU.html

• irishdancersgram
    15 years ago

If you have a JoAnn Fabrics near you, they usually have them...Also, if you go to their web site, you'll find them...Right now I'm doing 18" quilt squares that I had gotten from JoAnn's....Good luck

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm