Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rayon or Poly threads

Posted by doxie_dad (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 21:20

We are beginners to the machine embroidery craft, and would like to know what would be the best selection of threads for learning and general embroidery applications. Rayon or Polyester. We have a Husky Viking Diamond, and they seem to push the Rayon threads. Others I talked to say either will work, others say use poly for best results.

Also does anyone have an opinion on the Thread Delight brand of embroidery threads, in both rayon and poly. They have like 100 colors on 1100 yd cones for $142.00 on sale and would like to buy it if its decent threads, but what do I get poly or rayon? Any help appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rayon or Poly threads

In general, rayon has a nicer sheen and is often preferred for purely decorative pieces that don't get a lot of wear and tear. Polyester is a little harder wearing and is usually preferred for embroidering articles of clothing since it holds up to frequent washing better.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Thread Delight brand.

o

I have been machine embroidering for almost 10 years and I prefer rayon thread. I've never had any issues with washing / fading / etc that others talk about and I'm a notorious member of the "wear it for a few minutes, it needs to be washed" club. I think you get more colors in rayon thatn poly.

I have not heard of teh THread Delight brand of thread.

o

I've only been at this a short while but it's all I do now since getting laid off. Started with poly thread but have grown to love the rayon thread much more. Thankyou mama22 for your comment on the washing and fading issue it was a major concern of mine. From what i understand Threadelight is an Aussie thread and has great reviews. I have been wanting to try it. Can anyone offer me info on the FuFu rayon threads. I talked with a rep the otherday and he said they had the best radiance and sheen but what I want to know is the breakage factor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here