Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
king cone spool placement - help please!

Posted by karenlee56 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 17:25

I am not new to the world of sewing, but new to machine embroidery. I made the ultimate mistake of purchasing a Husqvarna Viking Designer SE sewing/embroidery machine. Nothing has come easy with this machine, including the lack of assistance from Husqvarna Viking.

At any rate, I have near-consistent success with the use of Sulky's rayon thread, in the 225-yd. narrow spools. They fit nicely on the spool-holder under the cover and feed almost perfectly. However, when I try to use the "Mini King Cone" 1100 meter spools (they are not Sulky, but what I have seems to be good quality), no matter where I try to sit these spools on the machine (either of the spool holders under the cover, one spool holder tried vertically, tried horizontally, etc.), the thread goes for a short bit and jams, stretches, breaks... continually. If I sit there and hand unravel the spool as it's creating a design, it works great (but who has time or patience for that??!). I'm using the recommended settings that the "embroidery advisor" on the machine suggests as far as needle, tension and stabilizers.

I am using 40-weight rayon on top, and 60 or 70-weight prewound white polyester bobbins. I believe that I am using the correct needles and stabilizers for each attempt.

I am thoroughly frustrated and ready to quit embroidery.

Where do these larger spools usually sit for the best results? And how would the small and large spool-holders on the SE be situated on the spools?

Thanks in advance!
kt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: king cone spool placement - help please!

I don't have the same machine as you, but for these big spools, I use a seperate cone holder that I out to the right and slightly behind the machine. That works well. Good luck. For more help, try the forum at MarthaPullen.com

o

It took a bit more research and a call to a local Viking dealer to realize that many people use the separate spool holders, such as the stand type. I ordered a universal one from ebay and I'll try that out. I have read that others sometimes put the spools in coffee cups, glass jars, etc., but I can't for the life of me imagine how that setup looks, let alone how that could possibly work!!

Thanks for your input, Islay! Your post further reinforced the information that I found out yesterday, and I really appreciate the time you took to respond.

Karen

o

I use a spare stand out to the right of the machine for my extra large spools but the 3000 meter ones I often just sit on the table in front of the machine and they seem to run OK from there. I also have a free standing stand on the table for the 2000 metre reels.
I have had to be more ingenious for the extra extra large reel of gold thread I bought in Dubai. The reel sits on the floor and is threaded through a curtain ring hanging on the door handle of the cupboard behind me and the thread then feeds through this, over my right shoulder to the machine...a cheap solution!!

o

Sewdisabled... I LOVE your ingenious idea for the huge reel of gold thread! Great thinking!

I have since been using the 10-spool standing thread rack that I purchased from Threadart off of ebay, with ARC's poly 40 1000-meter thread spools. I bought the 288-spool ARC kit from Melco Mart on sale at a GREAT price, and absolutely LOVE it! I have had no problems since using the thread rack.

In general, machine embroidery is much more enjoyable when you have the right thread set-up, correct stabilizer and proper needle! (obviously...) :o) I've been having a great time since my original post.

Karen

o

Glad to be of help and I'm happy you're having fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here