Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Continuous Filement Polyester

Posted by LoRee7 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 2, 05 at 16:49

I found some Style "L" Continuous Filament Polyester
prewound bobbins for sale on e-bay.

Is this what I want for an embroidery machine?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Continuous Filement Polyester

What brand and model machine do you have? Those that have your particular brand and model will then be able to tell you whether you can use that type of bobbin.

The first thing to consider is whether your machine will be able to use pre-wound bobbins and if the size on e-bay fits your machine.

Most machines use bobbin thread, either pre-wound or wind-it-yourself with plenty of bobbins on hand. Filament does have its uses for certain things where bobbin thread usually covers most of what you want to embroider.

o

I wrote the seller of the bobbins, and they verified they would fit my machine.
I was just asking if this is the type of thread that one would normally use for embroidery of general items?
I assume by your answer it would not be best.

Stitchntime9 , What certain things would the filament bobbin thread be used for?

Also is the polyester bobbin thread better than cotton?

o

If you do quilt stippling the filament is good for that. Nylon filament can be difficult to work with in either the top thread or bobbin. If you are just learning machine embroidery, stay away from the stuff for a while.

You can use bobbin thread (only see one side) or the same top thread in the bobbin (see both sides) for general embroidery items.

The general rule is if an item is going to get hard use and laundering, use polyester. If it's a show piece with little wear and tear use the Madiera cotton type thread.

o

I have a Brother embroiderier. My dealer suggested that I stay away from any prewound bobbin because the cardboard bobbin sheds fibers as it's used & can clog areas of the bobbin race assembly.

o

Thanks for your replies. I believe I'll stay away from the Continuous Filament Polyester bobbins for now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here