Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wife wants to use a digitizer, what is it?

Posted by rolacoy (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 8:32

My wife has a Baby-loc Elegante embroidery machine and wants to digitize something. When we bought the machine about 3 years ago we also bought some software to run on her PC laptop. I know the software was pretty expensive, but I don't know what it was supposed to do. I don't think that she ever tried to use the software. I think that it was digitizing software and a paint program to make designs to digitize.

We both have Mac computers, she still has the PC, she kept it to use with the Elegante. I am a retired commercial artist and never was smart enough to use a PC computer, I made my living with a Mac. So I have all of the good drawing programs, including Photoshop to make any kind of design.

From what I understand about the embroidery machine it will take a, say jpeg file and digitize it, which means it makes a file that the embroidery machine can read. Am I somewhat correct?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wife wants to use a digitizer, what is it?

I don't have a Baby Lock machine, but if the software you got was expensive, it's probably their proprietary digitizing software. Hopefully you got a manual or it has built-in tutorials that can help you get started.

My digitizing software is very old, but it does basically what you said - you can import a picture and it can digitize it into a file the embroidery machine can understand.

Check with Baby Lock - they may have a way you can run their software on Macs instead of PCs. They may also have on-line tutorials for the software.

Donna

o
RE: Wife wants to use a digitizer, what is it?

Hi
Digitizing is drawing your own pattern. I used to scan cards ie snowmen etc. I got very good at it and then downloaded coloring book pages (be careful here some have viruses). Also ensure they are not "protected" and not to be copied.

Digitizing is not the embroidery machine. It is a program that you purchase from EMBIRD....I believe you can still get a sample of it for free for 30 days online. www.Embird.com
You would want to download the basic program for now and then go slowly until you learn what to do. There are many wonderful things you can do with a digitizer. Remember it doesn't matter which Embroidery machine you have it is all in the pattern designation ie HUS XXX etc.
I would suggest you download the manual for that segment at a time and go one step at a time. '
You will also need a BAMBOO pallette with a stylist as you will be "drawing" a lot of patterns. Hope you enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here