Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryto_gw

hand embroidery thread

MaryTo
18 years ago

I haven't done this craft since I was a little girl and I'd love to try it again. I found a great book at the library of patterns. My question is about the thread. If I use 6 strand embroidery thread, how many strands do I use to stitch? The patterns are floral and some are small wreaths.

I do counted cross stitch so I have tons of thread. Is there a better thread to use than DMC floss? Any help is appreciated.

Comments (3)

• msmeow
    18 years ago

Maryto, the number of strands to use depends on the project and the stitches. Is it counted cross stitch? You use more strands for lower thread count. The patterns should tell you how many to use, but if not, you could stitch a small part of the design with 2 or 3 strands and see if it looks nice to you - good coverage without looking bulky.

Hope this helps! Donna

• stitchntime9
    18 years ago

I've always used two threads for regular embroidery unless it's outline stitch or back stitch and use one thread and small stitches, especially around corners...more effort, better results.

• williamsburgjane
    18 years ago

I usually only use 2 threads too, unless you are filling in a large space like a flower petal then I use 3.

Sponsored