Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good book of HAND embroidery stitches

Posted by jenn (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 20, 07 at 15:51

I would like to learn some basic HAND embroidery stitches for some quilting projects I am planning. In particular, I'd like to learn the blanket stitch and chain stitch. Actually, I learned them many years ago so it would be a matter of re-learning and improving the technique.

Can anyone recommend a good visual book that contains excellent illustrations and instructions? I found a few at Amazon and wondered if you can recommend any of them...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/333ZN14CB5261

Thanks,
Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good book of HAND embroidery stitches

Jen,
I have the Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches you located on Amazon and it has more stitches than I could ever use, but by doing a search for hand embroidery on line I found sites with the information that you are looking for and more.
One site is:
http://inaminuteago.com/stitchindex.html

Hope this is helpful.
Sally aka Nana24 (to four)

o

Sally, thanks so much. I found that site and it is indeed helpful. However, since I don't know the name of most stitches, it's difficult to find the one I want in a list of names.

What is the name of the basic and common stitch used to make a straight line or curved outline of something, or perhaps to sew one's name? It's a simple, basic stitch and I can't remember the name of it. I will be making a small wall-hanging quilt that uses applique on which I will embroider some lines and gentle curves to highlight features. The instructions for the stitch are not provided in the quilt instructions. If I can get the name of that stitch, then I'll know what to research on-line or in a book.

I'd like a good book to have on my lap and refer do while I'm doing the stitching in front of the TV. There are a few I put on my wish list at Amazon.... I may go to a walk-in book store where I can look through different books and choose the one that's best for me.

Thanks again,
Jen

o

Jen,
You probably want a Back stitch, an Outine stitch or a stem stitch.
I like books too. I also understand having it close at hand. Probably the best thing to do is look at a few at your local bookstore. You could even go in with some names of books that you have seen on line.
Good luck finding just what you want.
Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here