Return to the Embroidery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Learned from Experience' Tips!

Posted by MaryAnnTX (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 9, 05 at 10:39

Okay, I'm new at machine embroidery. I just got my machine, a Bernina, in November. I didn't have a lot of time to play around with it through the holidays, but now I'm enjoying playing and learning.
I've learned a few things from my new experiences that I hope I don't repeat! A friend brought me a darling valentine holder that she bought for her 1 year old granddaughter. She wanted it personalized with her name. The holder is a heart shaped pocket and I thought I could manage to stitch the name without taking the item apart. It was a very tight squeeze and after stitching the first letter I realized it wasn't going to work. so I literally spent hours removing the stitches on that first letter! Then I took the item partially apart and stitched the name. I now have to sew it back together again. Whew! What a job!
I'm chalking this off as a learning experience! I also learned that the machine puts those stitches in to stay!!!!

So...what have you learned from experience with your embroidery projects that I should avoid in the future?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Learned from Experience' Tips!

Mary Ann, Buy you a mustache & beard trimmer & work from the back side cutting bobbin threads & scratch off the top. Best $20 I ever spent.

o

I highly recommend the mustache and beard trimmer. I use it for hand embroidery and really save time when I make a mistake and have to rip out.

The other little tip is to make test samples or mockups of everything before doing the final stitching to find the ut-ohs and fine tune everything before using the final fabric/item.

o

Something else I learned last night. LOL Always check to see what order your stitches will be sewing in (if you have edited a design). I stitched buttonholes for the first time and since I was stitching them on small straps that I pinned to the hooped stabilizer, I set up a basting stitch around the buttonhole so that the strap would be stable and not move. I forgot to check my stitching order, and it stitched the buttonhole first. A lot of good my basting did!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Embroidery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here