Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnie_mac

Where to start?

lynnie_mac
18 years ago

Hi everyone,

My hubby and I are looking at buying our 1st embroidery machine and just looking for some advice. I heard the Janome is very nice. Is the 11000 out yet and what kind of price does it run? I can't find it priced anywhere. We want to use it for personal and for embroidering on shirts and jackets for friends and small groups. I also want to be able to have multiple colors without a lot of work and to be able to design prints on my computer. Thanks for your input.

Comments (7)

• Islay_Corbel
    18 years ago

I have the Janome 300E - embroidery only machine. Very nice - especially if you already have a sewing machine or don't need one.

• stitchntime9
    18 years ago

I would start by doing a meta search for machine embroidery to learn what it entails and the costs involved. Then visit dealers to try the machines for the best fit for your needs and the way you normally sew.

• msmeow
    18 years ago

Lynnie, the 11000 is out now, and I saw it for sale at a quilt show a couple of weeks ago - the "show special" price was $7999.

Donna

• jenni_ca
    18 years ago

Where do you start??? Find a second job!! LOL LOL
    Getting the machine is a big part of the cost, then there are all the things that go with it. And don't forget all the designs....and digitizing software.
    Just do yourself a favor and hide all your receipts. LOL
    Don't ever add up what this hobby costs you....ever!! LOL
    There are some great deals too on used machines. People learn real fast that the machine they bought just isn't enough for them and trade them in after hardly using them.
    It's a fun thing tho and you will love it.

• cora_lea
    17 years ago

Hi, Lynnie.

Have you decided on a machine yet? I have had my Janome 11000 for a little over a year now and have made numerous things with it. I wish I had the time to play with it and learn more. I have drawn and digitized one design on my own and had a great learning experience with it...and it turned out pretty nifty, too.

I will tell you that Janome is VERY GOOD about assisting owners with their machines. When I purchased mine, the store didn't know as much as they let on they knew, so I have been learning mostly on my own...and talking with teaching reps who travel the country doing special classes.

Recently, the dealer where I purchased my machine, had a special class with a Janome educator there, and it was the same gal who had helped me out. As it turned out, I actually "taught" her a few things! Ha! I had tried to make a design, and in experimenting, did something she had never thought of doing. And, I must say, I learned about things the machine could do which I had not yet discovered.

I paid less than the above-mentioned price, and also negotiated a number of included items with the sale. I must say I love the machine and am looking forward to many continued hours of enjoyment with the birth of our new granddaughter soon. It will be such fun to make little girl clothing with this machine. I also have a New Home, which is the same as Janome. I purchased it used over 28 years old and it has worked beautifully with no required repair at all.

I'd love to hear if you got your machine and how you are doing!

• hollyinontario
    17 years ago

The Janome 350E is an easy machine to start with. Around $2000 CN. It's very intuitive in fact when I went for my "lesson" that came with the machine, I already knew almost everything that was taught.

• janewood7
    16 years ago

Am thinking about getting a machine that will do small luggage. Any suggestions for what machine for this task?

Thanks

Sponsored