Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forthegirls_gw

New, looking for machines, questions

forthegirls
17 years ago

I am looking at machines for my mother....she would be a beginner to embroidery but not to sewing (just been a long time!).

Someone local has a Janome 8100 for sale? Any thoughts?

Also, when it says the embroidery area is X by X - does that mean you can never embroider anything larger than that area? Or can you buy attachments to do larger areas?

Thanks for your help to a newbie and any other machine recommendations are welcomed!

~tonya

www.thereisaseason.net

Comments (6)

• lcbear
    17 years ago

Hi Tonya
    To answer you question, most home machines are user friendly, Brother, Bernina, Hursquavana. All use different software - this is used to download designs from the internet. Brother has memeory cards, their a little expenseive, there are plenty out there. the X by X, does mean the size of the Hoop if you have a 100x100, that is
    4 x4 and you can only embroider that size, they do have a larger hoop for those machines, but sometimes you need to split the design. If your mom never used this type of machine before, Brother does put out a nice unit for 400 or 500 dollars. I just got a 6 needle machine for Christmas, and I'm still learnng. But have stitched a few designs out since Christmas. If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me. Have a great New Year
    Lori

• Islay_Corbel
    17 years ago

A great embroidery only machine is the Janome 300 or 350 as there's a new one out. If you buy one of these, you won't need any expensive software as you can buy an inexpensive one called Embird to convert/re-size etc.
    You don't say if you're looking for a sewing machine as well but if you are, I'd go for separate machines any day. I can sew while the embroidery machine is working. Saves a lot of time and if one goes wrong, I've still got the other one.

• colleenny
    17 years ago

I really don't think that you should pick out a machine for your Mom. I think that she should try out various machines and pick out the one that works best for her. Machines are a very personal thing and it isn't easy to decide what is right for someone else. I would say to get the machine at a shop where they would give free lessons to the buyer. Colleen

• msmeow
    17 years ago

I agree with Colleen. There is such a huge variety available now. I have a combo machine, and I think someone who was not very computer-savvy would be intimidated by it, even without trying to download designs from the web and get them into the machine.

4 X 4 does mean that's the largest it can do in one hooping. You can split designs as was mentioned before, but again, you need to be pretty comfortable with a computer, and you need to buy software that can do it for you. Plus you have to learn how to rehoop the design so the various parts stitch out in the right place. I've had my machine for about 4 years now, and have yet to find a class locally that can show me how to do that.

If you're wanting to surprise your mom, make a cute little gift certificate that says "Sewing Machine of Your Choice" or something and take her out for a shopping day. That way she can pick the machine (and dealer) she is most comfortable with.

Donna

• joansews4u
    17 years ago

The current SewNews magazine has a pull out guide of several embroidery machines & their abilities & costs.

• keepeminstitches
    17 years ago

Bernina has just come out with a new Deco (embroidery only) machine that can use a USB stick. It does a very nice job and is priced at $999 in the shop I frequent.

Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernina Deco machine

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors