Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrick_808

Searching for White 32'' TV

patrick_808
12 years ago

I have been searching for a White 32" Flat Panel HD TV. So far, I haven't found anything bigger than 22" here in the US, except for the $2000+ Sunbrite Outdoor Set. I have found a few 32's overseas, mostly in Italy. I would hate to pay the shipping, but might consider it. The thing I would worry about is, would it work on US Current? From what I know most Euro Country's use 220 Volt 50 Cycle Current. The Voltage might be easily converted with an adaptor, but what about the 50 vs 60 cycles? A Problem?

Comments (9)

• azinoh
    12 years ago

If you proceed with this plan, be prepared to get a new tuner for it too...if you can find one. Unlikely that a tv meant for sale in Italy will be able to receive a signal based on the system used in the US. Be prepared to replace it yourself, and forget about any warranty.

I'm having a hard time imagining why someone would not be satisfied with a tv available for sale here. Perhaps you could share your reasoning on this.

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

Is White a European brand? Or are you looking for a white-colored set?

• patrick_808
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Azinoh,
    Thanks for your input. As long as I am willing to use a Cable Box, I don't think the tuner would be a problem. My desire for a White Colored Set is strictly cosmetic. I hate the ultra glossy black finish on almost all sets these days. That finish looks so cheap to me. White would look great with the decor in my sun room.
    Sushipup, Yes, I am looking for a White Set. I have found a few by known brands up to 22," maybe 26". Some off brands even have Pastel Colored Sets, but not over 22". It seems odd to me that I can find a 32" White Samsung in Italy, but not here. I think that I have seen 32" Toshiba's too, but not in the U.S.
    I am afraid that if I did buy one overseas, it might not be compatible here. I know that there are different TV Systems like NTSC & PAL, then there is the 50 vs 60 cycle current to consider too.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Samsung on eBay Worldwide -Italy

• azinoh
    12 years ago

If a "white" tv is the only thing that will satisfy, my best recommendation is to buy a tv here in the US (even if it has a glossy black finish) and find someone who will custom-fit a white bezel to it. In regards to product-service-price-warranty you'd be far better off and you'd have the opportunity to have the white bezel fashioned as you desire, although I have no idea where to recommend you to find someone who would do it. Good luck...you'll need it.

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

I googled white 32" TV, and got a number of responses.

• yosemitebill
    12 years ago

Actually, other than OTA (over the air) tuner issues, it would most likely be fine.

Most television sets now use switching power supplies that easily adapt from 100-250 volts, especially in Europe & Asia. So you may not even need a step-up transformer - but check the specs first.

Almost all televisions now can decode and display 525/NTSC and PAL/625 without any problem unless the manufacturer locks out the capability for marketing reasons. The HD formats, other than frame rate, are pretty much standard as well - and still usually no problem there.

The semiconductor manufacturers that design and market the ICs (integrated circuits) that the television set mfgs use don't wish to make separate devices for various regions and usually build the capability for all signal formats into the devices.

The only other issue would be the inputs available on the television to match your sources. Europe still uses what known as a SCART connectors for carrying analog video/audio signals and you may have to find "break-out" connectors to utilize all the input options. Then again, no problem - easily obtainable.

But with all that said, and considering shipping costs & possible damages, I'd probably buy an inexpensive television and a can of Rustoleum white plastic spray paint, and go to town!

• mike_kaiser_gw
    12 years ago

I'd probably buy an inexpensive television and a can of Rustoleum white plastic spray paint, and go to town!

Let's not forget a little masking tape. Overspray on a the screen will play hell with the picture. ;-)

• yosemitebill
    12 years ago

" Let's not forget a little masking tape. Overspray on a the screen will play hell with the picture. ;-)"

You know, Mike, I really enjoy your sense of humor!

Bill

• andrelaplume2
    12 years ago

se am to be a bunch....walmart used to sell them...maybe get the model and google it...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-32-Eco-LCD-White/10773756

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area