Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Surveillance - security camera

Posted by carol23 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 2, 09 at 21:15

Is there an economical way to go about installing a camera ?
Recurring vandalism has been a problem at a friend's house. It would be helpful to know what is necessary to record the offender in the act.
I think the camera can be mounted inside by a window, facing the areas where damage has been done.

I did a search on this topic but found very old posts.

Can the computer monitor be used to view what the camera picks up? How can she record one day at a time?

Thanks for your help.
Anyone have a system they recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Surveillance - security camera

yes,if you have already install the security camera,you can contact it with your computer minitor,that make your friend can view what happened outside.
if she just need to keep it turn on everyday ,if something special on someday ,she can replay the record of that day to know what has happened.

o

You can accomplish this very easily and inexpensively utilizing your average webcam and Active Webcam software seen here: http://lifehacker.com/5385018/turn-your-pc-into-a-home-surveillance-system.

Once you install the webcam and software, note that you do not need to purchase this software, in it's 'trial' mode you will have all functionality that you are looking for. The camera will be motion activated and record live video to the hard drive, it can also be configured to send email messages with pictures, upload to a website any number of things.

I use this and it is very effective and easy.

Here is a link that might be useful: security camera software

o

Thank you very much, more_to_grow! that's exactly the information I needed.

o

The performance of your monitor is vital to the way you receive the information being conveyed from your

computer. There are some very important specifications that govern a monitor’s performance,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here