Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alarms . . . Can I do them myself?

Posted by DuneMe (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 8, 11 at 21:03

I would like a system that wouldn't charge me a monthly service fee.
Next . . . A motion sensor(s) for my house. . . I don't want my cats to trip the sensor. . . I would like to recieve automated phone call when someone came in the house. . .
I'm thinking if I get one of the calls I can call a neighbor and the police possibly.
What else . . .
Who sells a good system?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alarms . . . Can I do them myself?

Yes, you can do it yourself - and receive messages - but stay away from wireless sensors/systems.

Without any endorsement intended, smarthouse.com has several home security systems available that may give you a better idea of what's out there.

Then again, if you have a "smartphone", or are always connected, you may wish to look at home video security systems.

There are several brands that record, do motion detection (setup by an onscreen matrix - which can avoid "cat areas"), email you alarms, and then you can view via the internet or your smartphone.

Again blah, blah, blah... for home video security, Costco online can give you some ideas as to what's available.

o
RE: Alarms . . . Can I do them myself?

Thanks for the info. There has to be others with a system??? We will talk more. . .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here