Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz_gw

So is wiring a home for phone & cable now obsolete?

swampwiz
12 years ago

I am wondering, with the advent of new technology - most notably AT&T U-Verse, which I think streams the signal through a wireless router (but which I can't seem to confirm) - that the days of wiring a home for phone, cable or ethernet is over. Obviously, there would still be the requirement of having wiring to get from the outside interface to some single location that would run the router (I guess a natural location of that would be the utility room or kitchen.)

Is this accurate, or should someone continue to wire up a new home? What about for other provides like cable & dish?

Comments (6)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

Is this accurate, or should someone continue to wire up a new home?
    I don't see any reason why one wouldn't wire a new house or a remodel with wires for phone, TV, and internet. It is far easier and less expensive and a nicer install, than if they then need added later.

I for one will probably always have a land line phone, as that is what works best for me, particularly here in the rural area. If you are wired for everything then you may be less limited by what providers you could use....if I'm understanding things correctly.

I just checked to see if if AT&T U-verse is available at my address and my address isn't even found....sigh

Sue

• mike_kaiser_gw
    12 years ago

Wired connections tend to be faster and more reliable that wireless connections. I have to wonder about the available bandwidth of a wireless G or N network using, say, 3 HD channels and an assortment of computers, games, etc.

• DuneMe
    12 years ago

We run with Mobile Phones ONLY. So, this adds to what you are saying. . . I've got wireless internet (I do need cable to one location for it.) My cable TV is probably the biggest user.

• lee676
    12 years ago

I'd run a few plenums with a dummy cord if I were building a new house, which makes it easy to run any new cables later (any cable you ran 20 years ago would be obsolete now, and likely anything you run now won't remain current for long). I haven't had a landline phone in 10 years, and increasingly find wireless-N to be fast and stable enough to use for everything. But ethernet or fiber wire is still faster, more secure, and the least trouble-prone, so I wouldn't write it off.

I'm also noticing a trend in new devices like the Roku TV box where wi-fi is standard but you have to pay extra for a model with wired connectivity. Same with printers - some are wireless-only, but the more expensive printers also have an Ethernet port. That makes sense though, since they are increasingly used with devices like iPads or smartphones, or even laptop computers that aren't normally used with cables.

• westom
    12 years ago

The problem is bandwidth. Insufficient bandwidth exists to support everything as wireless. Wireless will be mostly for devices that have low data requirements.

Wireless also adds another level of complexity making problems easier and solutions harder. For example, microwave ovens and other devices share same frequencies as wireless applianced. Sometimes a defective microwave leaves the consumer comfused if no hardwired devices also exist.

Best solution to wireless problems starts with first learning what is and is not working from hardwired devices. Those are also best deviced to identify a wireless problem.

Best wireless solutions mean routing hardwire ports to various areas in a building. Then a wireless problem can be solved even by connecting an Access Point to that existing hardwired port. Just one of so many reasons why hardwire cables will always be required.

A refrigerator will best work wireless. But wired port for some devices will always be necessary. Numbers make that obvious. Too many only know by never learning the numbers. Subjective knowledge is always suspect.

Better informed consumers install pipes (as another has recommended) so that the few necessary hardwires (current or future technology) can be easily installed.

• gabbythecat
    12 years ago

We live in a rural area and do not have a landline phone. We run our cell phones through an ATT minicell - which runs through our broadband connection, so I guess technically we do have a landline phone, although we don't use it as such. But it does allow us to have cell service in an area where it tends to be spotty at best - it's really voice over IP.

I can't begin to think of the technical implications of this except I agree that it's easier to install the wiring and never need it rather than to need it and have to install after the fact.