Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a newer chart that gives the amount of watts used...

Posted by ilmbg (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 25, 09 at 18:35

jimi gave me a chart on the watts of tv's. The chart was configured January 2008- 2 years ago. I would think with energy star that the watt usuage would be less now. On the WalMart site I do not see the info listed.
If you were going to get a 40-46" lcd tv that doesn't need all the beels/whistles, but is nice- what tv would you consider. Our electric rates are very high out here- .16, so one important consideration is low watts used. Another consideration is a screen that doesn't reflect badly, as I am losing my eyesight.
There are so many Consumer Report type comparasions that I am overwhelmed. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a newer chart that gives the amount of watts used...

Manufacturers websites usually have the specifications.
However you need to consider that is max wattage.

My tv is listed as something near 137 watts I believe, yet when all the energy savings modes are enabled its only showing 80 watts for most average programs,, until the commercials come on and then wattage jumps up to over 100 to maybe near the max.

o

That was a nice chart that jimi put up but like you said, it excludes some of the newest TV's
One thing that really gripes me, is the reviewers that brag about the "Energy Star Rating" of X and Y TV but nowhere do they actually list the power comsumption (VA) rating of the TV, and neither do the manufactures, Sharp, Samsung, Sony etc No Excuse for this It's on the back of every TV they make!!!!
Anyway, after much and much searching (VA Ratings of new (or 2009 TV's) Energy start ratings etc etc etc, I did find one site that actually measured the power usage of the TV and in it's different modes.
Based upon that, and taking into account, picture quality, glare, etc etc, This is the one I would buy today
UN46B8000 Samsung 46 inch LED TV.
Do a search for that one, read reviews, find the best price etc etc etc.Hopefully you have a Best Buy or similar store where you can actually compare pic Quality, sound , etc etc of the TV's.
Myself I have a 52 inch Sharp Aquos, 4 years old,(300 Watts)
A new Sony Bravia 40" it uses 200 watts and even my monitor here which is a 26 " Sharp TV uses 160 watts.
The new TV I recommended for you, UN46B8000 Samsung 46 inch LED TV uses about 100 watts down to as low as 93 if you turn the backlighting down to "1" which the reviewers said still gave xlnt picture.
Good luck with you choice!!!

Gary

o

mikie and gary- thanks for more info!
mikie- when you speak of 'all the energy savings', is this something that we set after we get the tv home? I had no idea there could be a difference.
gary- am going to look at that tv online now- thanks!

o
forgot to ask..

I don't have 'hdtv signal' where I live. My current 13" tv gets a fair pic with an outdoor antennae.\Will I still be able to use the antennae, knowing that it won't be the best possible picture? Maybe someday I could get satellite, but from what I hear locally, the monthly price is going quite high.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here