Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limiter/compressor for TV audio?

Posted by arley (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 07 at 17:51

Here's the problem: the dynamic range of much TV programming these days--especially recent movies on cable--is pretty big. That is, the difference between the loudest passages and the softest passages is often remarkable, such that if you have it loud enough to hear the softer passages it becomes ear-blastingly loud during the loudest passages. Now sometimes that is fine (say, if you're watching an action movie) but if you're watching TV in the bedroom with your spouse trying to sleep, it's not so good.

I'm sure I'm not the only person with this problem. Can you compress the dynamic range, boosting the soft and limiting the loud passages, so that you can control the wide fluctuations in volume? Is there any gadget/audio compressor/limiter available to hook up to the speaker out terminals that can accomplish this?

Failing that, what brand of wireless headphones do you recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limiter/compressor for TV audio?

here's one that connects between TV and external stereo amplifier $30 shipped:

link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Audiovox VR1 Automatic TV Volume Controller

o
RE: Limiter/compressor for TV audio?

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know they made such items.

After searching that topic, I ran across this item (see link) and I ordered one through Amazon. Should have ordered direct, though, because it looks like they're running a special on them.

After I use it a while I'll post my experiences.

Here is a link that might be useful: sound regulator

o
RE: Limiter/compressor for TV audio? Followup

That item I referred to in the previous post--the TVSR--works okay. It seems to blunt the volume rise when going from program to commercials; at least, they're not as annoying.

One annoyance: the item is powered by one of those wall-wart transformer power supplies. The plug from that power supply was a loose fit in the unit, making me have to use a bit of electrical tape to keep the contact good.

So I'd give it 4 stars for performance, 2 stars for build quality. Still for under $50 I can't complain too much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here