Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimbo60_gw

Sony Plasma at BJ's

jimbo60
17 years ago

Need help here. BJ's has a 50" Sony Plasma (PSS-50HS1) that is priced at about $2100. This TV looks great on the display floor. I have searched the web for this model and hardly find anything except some sites that sell it for about $1000 more. These are only a few sites. Nothing much else out there on this set.

Is this an old or out dated set? Maybe re-model numbered for BJ's? Although, some others do have it with that number.

Is there a down side to getting this TV.

It really does look sweet in the store. Blows everything around it away.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Comments (5)

• jdbillp
    17 years ago

I have never heard of this model number before.

In their consumer line Sony stopped selling plasma tv's about 2 years ago.

Who is BJ's?

• jimbo60
    Original Author
    17 years ago

BJ's Wholesale Club - it's a membership store which sells you everything but sometimes in bulk.

That is what concerned me about the TV is that not much out there with that model number. I do know that BJ's will sell older electronics or discontinued ones.

This TV looked so good compared to the others there is just stood out especially with the price and Sony name on it.

Did Sony stop selling them due to quality issues?

• jdbillp
    17 years ago

No quality issues. The Sony plasma tv's looked good and performed well, too.

They were buying their panels from Pioneer and when the contract ran out it wasn't renewed. Pioneer wanted the extra capacity for themselves.

Sony had decided to get out of the consumer plasma market and concentrate on LCD tv's. It has been suggested that this was to avoid the whole plasma tv price war that the low cost Chinese and Korean mfgr's started.

Be careful, some of those warehouse stores sell products not intended for the US market.
    EG: Sam's Club once sold Pioneer laser disc players intended for the Canadian market. US Pioneer wouldn't honor any warranty claims.
    Also, look out for refurbished products.

That Sony plasma tv you mentioned may also be just a monitor with no tuner or speakers. I've done a bit of looking around but have found nothing on this model.

• jimbo60
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do not think it had a HD Tuner but did have side speakers that were detachable. Need Sat or Cable box.

1368 x 768 High Def Resolution and 10,000 to 1 contrast ratio.

Still thinking about it - wish I could find out more!

• Cmarrocco
    17 years ago

Well by now, if you really had the bug, you probably bought it, but here is what I know about BJ's. I too fell in love with the Sony Bravia there. The model numbers cannot be found except in Google where you will find other clubs selling them. I called Sony directly concerning the TV I wanted. I asked them about the model number and they said it is only to differentiate the seller as a whole sale market. I had also heard that BJ's, Sams, and Cotsco got sub-par TV's that are similar to model numbers at Circuit city and Best buy, etc. but Sony's said they are no different, they are the same quality, and they are considered an Authorized Sony dealer and they are warranted. Call Sony directly about the TV you want to buy, they will answer all your questions.