Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tivo Connection - via Phone Line vs. DSL

Posted by juliet3 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 21, 08 at 15:39

I am going to get Tivo. Their website says my Tivo service connection can be either through my phone line or my DSL. Is one better than the other? My DSL internet service can be slow at times, but I don't know if that means my Tivo connection would also be slow. And I always hear that phone lines are problematic for internet service; does that apply for Tivo too?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tivo Connection - via Phone Line vs. DSL

the tivo only needs to pull software updates and short guide updates. it really does not matter which you use.

o
RE: Tivo Connection - via Phone Line vs. DSL

Although, depending on any additional features of the Tivo you may use, the DSL would be much better.

Once you connect your Tivo to your 'home network', you can do so much more with it. simple things like display pictures from your computer, through your Tivo onto your TV (so everyone doesn't have to stand around a possibly small PC monitor), to downloading movies from the web and watching them from the Tivo (again on your TV).

Fun stuff indeed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here