Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Record & Play -- Replace VCR

Posted by chisue (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 30, 11 at 14:09

What can I buy to replace a VCR on a TV in our vacation rental condo? I don't want anything with a service contract; we're only there two months at most.

The condo complex supplies cable feed. We have a DVD player we use for rental DVD's (Blockbuster or our public library).

Would I look for a DVD *recorder*, or is there a single unit (like VCR) that records *and* plays?

Just something very plain and simple is fine. I don't need to be able to record ten programs while phoning someone on Jupiter and microwaving a Thanksgiving turkey on this thing. LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Record & Play -- Replace VCR

I have a combo DVD recorder/VCR (JVC model DR-MV150) and it functions very well, but don't expect the DVD to perform the same functions as a VCR would do. I like to use it to record movies & football games---things I want to want to watch start-to-finish---without interruption. The DVD will pause, but don't expect it to rewind/fast-forward like a VCR would. If you get a DVD recorder, you'll need one with a tuner if you want to watch one program while recording another.

For recording DVDs, high quality media is important. Don't get the cheap ones at WalMart unless you're willing to put up with occasional failures that will result in a missed program and a ruined disc. I've had good luck with FujiFilm and Sony discs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here