Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Room Air Cleaners

Posted by mwheel (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 2, 11 at 13:52

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, but maybe someone can advise me. Is a room air cleaner effective at cleaning the air? Is there any brand that one would reccomend over another?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Room Air Cleaners

My gut reaction is that they don't work particularly well. If you have a forced air heating or cooling system, you might want to consider some kind of high efficiency filtration.

o

Thanks for your response.

o

Most electronic air cleaners were originally developed to remove combustion soot and other carbon based particles degrading the performance of high voltage components associated with military systems. Getting them to work effectively was very messy and labor intensive.
If you are interested in keeping a small room clean and are a bit handy, there is a way but it isn't cheap. You will need a Seville brand or similar tower style fan, a pair of aviation style snips, and a supply of expensive 3M Filtrete electostatic filter panels. You remove the metal support grid from the intake (outside) side of the filter (cutting, pulling, bleeding, and cutting) and and then bend and strap the whole filter around the tower covering the tower fan air intake holes. You would be surprised how quickly that portion of the filter darkens in a city environment. Then after several months it is time to cut off the dirty section and reinstall. Three to six filter panels a year, cost for them maybe $40 to $100?
Check into HEPA filter machines as well but adequate airflow and velocity can be a problem.

o

I have an air purifier and it works pretty well. Along with the basic odor eliminating air fresheners

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here