Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I network a Wii?

Posted by montalvo (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 5, 08 at 12:02

It seems that everyone's getting a Wii for Christmas this year (except maybe autoworkers and those who already have one). I'd like to find out if one can work on my home automation system. I have a Crestron system with distributed audio/video and I assume that any Wii I purchase would have to either have RS232 networking capability built in or I'd have to buy some type of box to provide the interface.

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether integrating a Wii into my system is possible?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I network a Wii?

The Wii has wireless internet capability built in. Nothing extra to buy.

No idea on how it would work with your home automation system. Note that it comes with an A/V cable that has L+R audio and baseband video output. Both S-video and component video (480i and 480p) are also on the connector pins on the back panel. So one merely has to buy a new cable to take advantage of the better video connections.

o
RE: Can I network a Wii?

Thanks for the information. I've subsequently learned that I'm going to have to hire the original Crestron installer to do some programming to make it work but it's great to learn that I'll be able to use it on TVs throughout the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here