Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home security system - need opinions please

Posted by kiagarden (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 15, 10 at 11:17

Hello-
We are looking to buying a home security system.
One for me, with NO landline phone, and one for my mom who does have a landline phone.
I've heard some good things about Protect America systems, not so good on ADT...on the sites I've looked at.
Would love to hear real opinions from REAL people on here :-)
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home security system - need opinions please

Are you looking for just an alarm system and/or video surveillance system?

Seif-installation?

Lorex Technologies has some of the best on the market at reasonable prices. You might check out their website and it may give you some ideas.

Kt

o

Thank you Kentuck - I will check into it. Right now we are looking at all the options available.

o

They have some very nice complete systems with wireless cameras that are motion detection cameras and also night vision.

Those are the best kind of cameras systems and they can be used with your computer if needed and the images can be sent to any computer on the internet so you can watch what is going on from any location...as long as you have high speed internet.

I have one and put one camera down at my entrance to my property to view anyone who might stop at my gate, and it's over 300 feet from the base unit and reception works great. The other cameras I move around my house or porch as needed and they work fine.

I also have a seperate sound alarm to alert me when anyone is at my front gate.

Good Luck

Kt

o

Buy a LOCAL installer - not a "name" or a fancy box. They will tailor a system that meets your needs and be more responsive that a big national co. that has a commissioned sales force.

Be sure the monitoring station/service is UL Listed. For the one with no landline , you'll need to go with a cellular transmitter which are pretty expensive by themselves and monitoring which is more $$$ than landline monitoring.

o

kentuck,
What kind of system do you have? I would like to get a camera to put at my gate entrance on a looong driveway. I also want security cameras on the outside of my house, but I don't want wires running all through the house. I'm beginning to think that I'm looking for something reasonably priced, that doesn't exist!

kiagarden,
Did you find what you were looking for?

NO SPAMMERS PLEASE!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here