Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
terrible odor in TV

Posted by woodnymph2 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 1, 09 at 10:46

Two of my appliances got fried by our recent Nor'Easter. My stepdaughter got my TV working again, after black smoke had come out of its rear. It is an older Zenith tube type, with a converter box and antenna. It is working great now, BUT------last night, I suddenly smelled a terrible odor. I had it on for about one hour. I felt the TV and it was not overheating and seemed normal otherwise. Why suddenly this bad smell? Is this dangerous? PLEASE HELP....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: terrible odor in TV

Black smoke plus terrible odor means something in the TV got fried.

Why it is still working at all is the mystery.

o

Now, several days later, the TV is still working well. The odor has almost disappeared. The only change I notice now is fine gray horizontal lines in the background. This is new but not enough to bother me. It is, indeed, a mystery!

o

If it is a tube TV, there are three common failures with the storm and issues you describe:
If you ever decided to open it up and look...
1) flyback transformer - look for a suction cup looking thing stuck to the back/side of the tube itself and follow that back down to a black plastic box looking thing - see if that has any melted areas on it - if so I would stop using the TV
2) popped capacitor - usually in power supply section near where the power cord comes in - small usually blue can looking things - you will normally see a small metal plate on top with a scribed X - (about 1/4 the size of a dime) - if any of them are distorted or missing with black goo coming out they also smell bad and would be cause for not using the TV anymore
3) melted/blown power transformer - depending on the age of the TV - again cause to stop using it as a fire hazard.

Just some thoughts for you.
DF

o

Thanks. Just an update: yesterday, while I was watching a movie, the screen suddenly went black. The system totally died, even the DVD player. So, evidently the Nor'Easter power surge dealt its death knell. It was a 2001 Zenith.

o

lol, it could be from other sockets ,
other than the TV as TV is working perfectly ,
check the surroundings , pins , sockets and other gadgets present near the the TV.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here