Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
legardhome

advice on equipment for dedicated home theater

legardhome
17 years ago

We recently completed our basement and have a room which we plan to use as a dedicated home theater. It is 16'7" x 17'5". The room will be used for watching rented dvd's and weekend sports for DH, as well as all those old disney VHS tapes that the older kids have outgrown but the little one is just getting into.

In the past we have been transferred every 3-4 years. This is the fifth house we have built in 15 years. So chances are that we will only be here a couple more years at most so I don't want to spend a fortune on equipment that will most likely be left behind. I found instructions online for building a 100" screen for less than $100 using stock lumber, velveteen fabric and photo paper so we are going to try that first instead of spending a fortune on a fixed screen.

These are the items I am considering. Does anyone have an opinion on them individually or how they would work together as a system and which would be the better projector?....

Projectors

Sony Cineza VPL HS60 - LCD

InFocus Play Big IN74EX - DLP

Receiver/dvd/speakers

Denon DHT487DV

vcr

Sony SLVN900 (with built-in tuner)

I created a cart at an online retailer containing all of the above mentioned items for easy access. I saved it but don't know how long it will last or if it will let someone other than me view it.

Other than a ceiling mount, component and hdmi cables what else do I need?

Here is a link that might be useful: equipment