Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
advice on equipment for dedicated home theater

Posted by legardhome (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 5, 06 at 10:41

We recently completed our basement and have a room which we plan to use as a dedicated home theater. It is 16'7" x 17'5". The room will be used for watching rented dvd's and weekend sports for DH, as well as all those old disney VHS tapes that the older kids have outgrown but the little one is just getting into.
In the past we have been transferred every 3-4 years. This is the fifth house we have built in 15 years. So chances are that we will only be here a couple more years at most so I don't want to spend a fortune on equipment that will most likely be left behind. I found instructions online for building a 100" screen for less than $100 using stock lumber, velveteen fabric and photo paper so we are going to try that first instead of spending a fortune on a fixed screen.
These are the items I am considering. Does anyone have an opinion on them individually or how they would work together as a system and which would be the better projector?....

Projectors
Sony Cineza VPL HS60 - LCD
InFocus Play Big IN74EX - DLP

Receiver/dvd/speakers
Denon DHT487DV

vcr
Sony SLVN900 (with built-in tuner)

I created a cart at an online retailer containing all of the above mentioned items for easy access. I saved it but don't know how long it will last or if it will let someone other than me view it.

Other than a ceiling mount, component and hdmi cables what else do I need?

Here is a link that might be useful: equipment

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here