Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone familiar with this?

Posted by wodka (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 10, 08 at 10:24

As I previously posted, I am looking for a reasonably priced radio/cd player (not boom box and not oversized) for my 83 year old mother. She loves mine, but we just cannot afford to buy her one like ours this year.

I ran across this while googling. Sounds too good to be true, which is scary. It doesn't have to have the best sound in the world, just decent, as it will be going in her sunroom, where she spends a lot of time during the day.

Here is the website:

Here is a link that might be useful: ihsmall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone familiar with this?

While I am not familiar with this unit, it appears to be an Emerson CDK5811. It appears it had been discontinued. It also appears that many places blew them our from $23.99 to $79.99.

Emerson, while still in business, has not been known for quality electronic products for a long, long time.

o

jdbillp, thank you for very helpful response. Do you know of any reliable table radio/cd player that I could find for less than $200? It doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles, since this is for an elderly person, but would like for it to provide decent sound. Thank you so much.

o

The hard part about this is the lack of midrange priced gear. Lots of cheapo under $50 stuff and real nice over $400 stuff out there.

I have not played with this unit but this $100 Sony looks promising.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sony ZS-S4iP

o

jdbillp, you're so right re: the huge gap between prices. This Sony you recommended does look promising. I wish it didn't have the ipod stuff on it, only because my mom will probably never have one in her lifetime, but maybe when the grandkids come over, they can play their tunes on it.

Thanks, again.

o

I have had a Sony ZS-SN10 for about a year and have been very happy with it. It has very good sound and is easy to operate. You won't be able to see in the picture at the link, but it does have a large flip up handle on top, and a rabbit ear style antenna. Also, the CD loads from the top - just press on the door and it pops open.

And the prices have come down considerably since I bought mine :-).

Here is a link that might be useful: Sony ZS-SN10

o

turnage and jdbillp - thank you both so much for your advice. I went with the Sony ZS-S4iP - ordered from Amazon.com this morning. They both looked good, but this one was more compact, and since it will be going on an end table, most likely, in my mom's sunroom, should be the perfect fit. I'm sure she will like it.

o

Cool. I hope she and you like it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here