Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have a basket or remotes or do you have a universal one?

Posted by tobr24u (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 07 at 9:52

I have a full basket and, after cleaning them, was wondering if one universal would be easier. Though running several remotes is not that difficult, I am always looking for ways to simplify my life. So, any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have a basket or remotes or do you have a universal on

Instead of a basket, we have a nice wooden cigar box that we keep most of the remotes in (laying on their edges). Find a box that your remotes will fit in on their edges. We use the "universal" one that comes with the cable box. That works for most of the commands we use. There are a few special commands we use seldomly, in which case we use the originals in the cigar box.

o

I never found a "universal" that was indeed universal so I have a basket of universals in the closet.

o

I'm wondering if there is such thing as a 'Universal' remote. It's bee my experience that with all of the components to a home theater system (TV, receiver, DVD player, VCR, & amp to name a few) one remote NEVER seems to work for all things. Usually one remote can be rogrammed for mostthings but the original remote is still necessary.

I really like regus patoff's idea of using a cigar box. I would not have though of this. I think I'm gonna give it a try.

o

Basket. Or rather, coffee table.

o

Hmmm. So I will have to buy another basket for my universals...lol!

o

my wife got me the best Christmas present ever last year, a Logitec Harmony remote. you program it thru your PC. enter your model number of each device in the program, it retrieves the codes and dumps them to your remote. you even tell it what devices to turn on for what activity. it is truly the only remote i have ever seen that does all functions of the originals.

i included a link below. mine took the place of 12 remotes. i even have read of people using them to control lighting and gas fireplaces, though i don't. the only drawback is that you must be connected to the internet to program it, and i only have dial up at home so it can sometimes take a while.

Here is a link that might be useful: pricey but worth it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here