Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
more_to_grow

DIY electronics project question

more_to_grow
14 years ago

I have a Central Boiler outdoor wood furnace. I would like to develop a way to log the frequency and duration that the solenoid which opens the damper is energized; thus letting me track how many minutes per hour my boiler is running. This to me seems easy, just looking for thoughts on how exactly to do it.

The other thing I would like to do is make the above data accessible over the web as well as the temperature of the water in the waterjacket, there are thermistors and a temperature guage on the unit providing the raw data, I just need to find how to use it.

When I installed to unit I ran Cat5, coax, and (4) twisted pair telco wire to the boiler from the house so I have plenty of options.

I know that at the very least I could position an IP camera in front of the boiler and 'view' the temperature gauge, the damper position, and the smoke coming out of the chimney to assess its current state when I'm away for the day.

If there is anyone on this forum with some advanced electronics skills I would love to discuss how I might accomplish these tasks and would be very appreciative of your time and knowledge.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES