Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question: Television vs. Monitor?

Posted by meskauskas (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 14, 06 at 1:18

Hello,
I am puzzled as to whether I should get a Television or a Monitor, and am hoping someone can help me understand the technology?

I would like to put a TV in my sewing room. I plan on running cable to it, and getting an additional cable box. I don't have much space, so I was thinking of getting a 17" LCD flatscreen, and mounting it on the wall.

When I looked at the options at Best Buy, it seemed like more than half were "monitors", and not televisions. I'm confused as to which is which, and what I need. The monitors go for about $200 or so, and the LCD TV's were over $1000. I've gotten several different explanations from Best Buy people...everything from "it's a matter of preference"..to "you can't watch TV on a monitor - they're for computers." There must be some reason that a TV is five times as expensive as a monitor...but I can't figure out what it is, as the descriptions on line for some of the monitors refer to your being able to "watch TV" on them.

Can you watch TV on a monitor with a cable box and change chanels with the cable box remote? Which is the right way to go?
TIA,
Clara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question: Television vs. Monitor?

The main difference (originally) between "television" and "monitor" is a television has a built-in tuner to select broadcast and/or cable channels from a coaxial cable, and a monitor does not.

A monitor simply accepts a video signal (composite, S-video, component) and displays it. Channel selection must be done via an external device such as a satellite tuner or a VCR. My 4-year-old Panasonic plasma panel would be considered a monitor. It does not have a coaxial input or a tuner. I selected channels (when I had cable) by using my VCR as a tuner.

However, nowadays most all consumer-level display devices / televisions / monitors DO have a built-in tuner, so "television" vs. "monitor" may simply be a marketing term. Just make sure whatever units you are considering have a built-in tuner and can take whatever kind of wire or cable connection you have, and make your choice on which one fits your budget, has the features you want, best picture quality, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here