Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meskauskas

Question: Television vs. Monitor?

meskauskas
17 years ago

Hello,

I am puzzled as to whether I should get a Television or a Monitor, and am hoping someone can help me understand the technology?

I would like to put a TV in my sewing room. I plan on running cable to it, and getting an additional cable box. I don't have much space, so I was thinking of getting a 17" LCD flatscreen, and mounting it on the wall.

When I looked at the options at Best Buy, it seemed like more than half were "monitors", and not televisions. I'm confused as to which is which, and what I need. The monitors go for about $200 or so, and the LCD TV's were over $1000. I've gotten several different explanations from Best Buy people...everything from "it's a matter of preference"..to "you can't watch TV on a monitor - they're for computers." There must be some reason that a TV is five times as expensive as a monitor...but I can't figure out what it is, as the descriptions on line for some of the monitors refer to your being able to "watch TV" on them.

Can you watch TV on a monitor with a cable box and change chanels with the cable box remote? Which is the right way to go?

TIA,

Clara

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County