Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clairebuoyant1

why do I have to "install"apps on my tablet?

Claire Buoyant
9 years ago

So why do I have to install apps on my tablet that require my location, etc.for websites that I merely visit from my laptop? I feel like this compromises my id security. Please educate me.

Comments (6)

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

So that aspects of your "user experience" can be tailored to your location. You start Yelp, I think you'd rather see pizza places in your area rather than ones in another state. And they earn more when delivering ads for businesses near where you are.

If you only go to legit websites, you can be sure no one is tracking you personally. You're just one of millions of users.

What is the notion of "id security' that you have that concerns you?

• jimct01
    9 years ago

You would be surprised at the mass amount of information Google, Facebook etc. is tracking whether with a brower or not. Every website you go to, every facebook like and friend , every purchase you make is being tacked and it is not anonymous. Ever wonder why certain adds pop up on your screen and how the seem to match what you were searching for yesterday. If you want to stay private, stay off the internet period.

As for apps, I only let ones that have a legitimate reason to know where at am. Mapping apps, travel apps like TripAdvisor , my astronomy apps etc. anything else, no you can't have my location. On the IPad you can review these settings later and turn them on and off. But don't let that fool you, the trackers can use cookies and your IP address, network provider etc to narrow down pretty well we're you are located. And of course your cell phone always knows where you are as does the wifi in your car.

• jimct01
    9 years ago

You would be surprised at the mass amount of information Google, Facebook etc. is tracking whether with a brower or not. Every website you go to, every facebook like and friend , every purchase you make is being tacked and it is not anonymous. Ever wonder why certain adds pop up on your screen and how the seem to match what you were searching for yesterday. If you want to stay private, stay off the internet period.

As for apps, I only let ones that have a legitimate reason to know where at am. Mapping apps, travel apps like TripAdvisor , my astronomy apps etc. anything else, no you can't have my location. On the IPad you can review these settings later and turn them on and off. But don't let that fool you, the trackers can use cookies and your IP address, network provider etc to narrow down pretty well we're you are located. And of course your cell phone always knows where you are as does the wifi in your car.

• jimct01
    9 years ago

• harry_wild
    9 years ago

Basically, by law they have to ask for your permission to track your movements.

Each time you access their app; a log is keep on your habits; what you look at; for what; etc... so they can sell the info to one of several national database firms that advertisers buy from.

• jimct01
    9 years ago

You don't have to install apps in most cases. Most give you an option to just go to the website. However don't get fooled into thinking your location is a secret. The website , Google, yahoo, Bing are tracking nearly every website you visit, every place you buy something. Your IP address and provider are being stored and if you have cookies enabled even more of your habits are tracked. IP addresses can be used to get pretty close to where you Are.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES