Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vcr/dvd combo

Posted by missingky (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 07 at 22:50

I need help real bad. We just bought a new vcr/dvd combo. My old vcr had a spot where you could hook the antenna, but the new one don't. We do not have cable or satelite just regular tv with an antenna. Our antenna is coaxial. we need to find a box or wire to convert the audio & video to the digital in on our combo. Alot of people said we need to just buy a new vcr/dvd combo with the antenna spot on the back but they are $199.00 & up. I ran into a fellow today at walmart who said it was possible to hook it up he said it is opposite of the rf modulator. It has the antenna hook up as out and then a spot where you can put the digital audio/video cables (RED, WHITE, YELLOW) into the in on the back of the vcr/dvd combo. The only problem was he didn't know what this reverse rf modulator was called. He said i could find one online but i dont know what to look for. Could someone please tell me how to hook this up? or what to look for to get it hooked up? The only out on my tv is digital audio out. So i could record audio but no video. Thats why I need the antenna to go to the combo. I can play movies with both the dvd& vcr but would love to be able to record my shows.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vcr/dvd combo

The person who recommended getting a different unit with a tuner in it is correct.

o

there is absolutely no other way!!!! Cause I really dont want to spend 200 or more for one.

o

It would be helpful to know the brand & model #'s of the TV & VCR.

o

You could buy an outboard tv tuner. But that would cost as much to buy as the dvd/vcr unit with a tuner. And probably be a PITA to operate.

The reason the tuner units are a bit more expensive is that buy federal law they need to include both the regular analog tuner and the newer digital or HDTV tuner.

You do know that on February 19, 2009 that the regular analog broadcasts will be turned off. After that date the only over the air broadcasting will be done digitally. The analog tuners won't receive anything. You will then have to buy a tuner adapter or a new digital tuner unit anyway.

So, either buck up now and buy the digital tuner model you really want or scout around on eBay and buy a used analog tuner model.

o
Do I need DVD w/ Tuner

OK, Here is my question. I have a great plasma TV, have cable TV and receive the signal through a cable converter box. I want to get a DVD/VCR recorder combo mainly to put some old VHS onto DVD. Is there any advantage to getting one with a tuner vs one without a tuner? I have found the better deals on the ones with a tuner, but they are still slightly more than ones without and don't know if there is any reason for me spend the extra few dollars. thanks in advance

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here