Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
magnavox tv

Posted by anthonybenson (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 9, 08 at 22:49

Hello I have a magnavox 54" big screen TV the color or brightness is so bad that you can only watch the TV at night. I would really like to make the repairs myself service charge the repair guy gave me was really outrageous. Please help thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: magnavox tv

How old is the TV?

o

Please forgive me on my last post i forgot the the model chassis # it is PTV745-AHOL

o

The date stamp on the tv is 1996

o

Can anybody help me out, Thanks

o

Are you a service tech?

o

I have a 54" Magnavox PTV835 manufactured in 2000- I started having problems with it a few weeks ago when the picture would shrink to a fraction of the size of the screen and get so bright you could not make out the details- this would go away after leaving it on for several minutes-now it won't turn on at all-no picture-no sound-any ideas as to how I can fix this? I would appreciate any help I can get.

o

If you guys aren't tv service techs, with the proper test equipment and proper schematics, the idea of fixing it yourself is a pipedream.

o

It could be the CRT Coolant is bad thats what could cause dark picture and bad color but i wouldn't recommend you changing it your self cause you could mess up the alinement of the three crt guns. Magnavox and philips have that problem of crt coolant growing algae in the coolant. Thats what happen to mine but after i replaced the coolant the picture was perfect.

o

I'm not a service tech, but I'm pretty good at working on electronic item If can find out how to get the coolant and instruction on how to install the coolant in the CRT, I think I will be fine. So, where can I find the coolant and instruction. I try to fix before I have to throw it away. Television expensive these days. Thanks

o

You can get the coolant from here http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/20-4275

This is what i read on changing coolant,
I suggest doing 1 tube at a time so you won't have to do a major re-convergence adjustment also mark things before you remove something. Remove the green crt first. remove the high voltage lead from the splitter, then the yoke and convergence plugs then the ground wires going from the crt ground strap to the crt board.Lay the assembly down with the drain plug facing up( you will have to support the crt neck with a block of wood)I use a turkey baster with a plastic straw taped to the end. Remove the drain plug and suck out the coolant and empty into a plastic container.I use an old milk carton. When most of the coolant is removed remove the lens assembly. Then remove the half moon shaped plastic from the reservoir . suck out the remaining cooland and use a paper towel to sop up the remaining debris. You can also use rubbing alcohol to clean out the coolant fluid to kill off bacteria. Reinstall the half moon and lens. Fill the reservoir allowing a little room for expansion.Reinstall the tube then doing the customer convergence meaning line the tube you just worked on backup with the other tubes convergence. Do the blue and red tube the same way. good luck

o

Thanks, I will order the crt coolant tomorrow. Hopefully by next week I will be up and running watching football. I will keep you posted on my progress. Again Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here