Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tell my why i should or shouldn't have cat-5/cat-6 wiring

Posted by petestein1 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 07 at 22:11

Folks-

I'm at the beginning of a gut renovation of my home. While I'm pretty knowledgeable and up to speed on most issues, I now have to make a decision about structured wiring in the house.

In a nutshell, I question whether I need to have what I've heard called "structured wiring" or Cat-5 or Cat-6 wiring installed.

(Apologies if I'm not getting the terminology correct. I get what it is. Ethernet jacks in every room to move data from one room to another.)

10 years ago I would have appreciated what it could do for me. Now, in the day of Wifi it simply seems obsolete.

Computers use wifi, my tivo uses wifi, printers use wifi, I'll have whole house audio (a Niles system BTW). The phones are all 5.6Ghz cordless and I don't have or need or want an intercom system.

So... I turn to all of you and your experience to tell me why I should or should not spend the money on this. Granted, it's not all that much money in the grand scheme of the project but every penny counts, yes?

So... what should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tell my why i should or shouldn't have cat-5/cat-6 wiring

my thingking... I'm inventive and handy with a ships auger and masonary bit! Add it as you need it.

My wifi with 100% signal is actually moving around 5 mbyte/s across the room to/from the router.

When I get fios I'm not going to be happy if I dont have at least one wired computer for large downloads. Probably wont be happy with my laptop wifi speeds.
Takes it a long time now to move even a CD from the Desktop to laptop with wifi. Network cable is like WoW speed after using wifi.

I keep a 100 foot network cable coiled at ready and stretch it out to my laptop for things like the soon coming xp sp3 upgrade (350mb) & also for that occasional DVD I want to download and watch. Wifi just is too slow for bigger byte stuff.

Wifi DVD downloads and sending movies to set-top media center on wifi, sucks.

Other than that kind of stuff, you're right. Don't really need a built in wired local LAN .. networking with all the wifi and other plug instant connect doohickeys is pretty simple, but definitely much slower.

Someday you're going to find yourself with a 10 - 30 megaByte internet connection with fios or cable and you;ll not be able to utilize that connection to its potential with wifi though.

o
RE: tell my why i should or shouldn't have cat-5/cat-6 wiring

Without the specific applications in mind, I would add as I go (depending on what future access would be). I personally would at least run conduit (where needed) to make future upgrades easy to the important locations, such as main TV area, office, MBR. You may be grateful if you need it to run fiber optic cable in 5-10 yrs. Personally I would run at least 2 rg6 and 2 cat 5e to each room. Your DVRs and STB will all need to be networked. I use the 2nd cat5e for landline and caller id on TV. I've added wiring to my house twice in the last 5 yrs, this time I added conduit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here