Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sony Bravia 19'' LCD - No Specs Available?

Posted by shannonplus2 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 17, 08 at 20:28

I am looking for a 19" LCD for my home office. I was considering the Samsung 19" (#LC19D45U) which I liked better than the comparable Sharp 19".

Then I saw that Sony has come out with a 19" LCD - until recently, they only had larger LCD's. It's in the Bravia "M" Series, #KDL-19M4000, and is a little more expensive than the Samsung, by about $60. But other than Sony saying 720p, and 1440 x 900 resolution, there are no specs given on the Sony website. For example, it just says "wide viewing angle" instead of specific numbers, and no contrast ratio or response time is provided. I also looked on websites selling this model, like Abt Electronics, and found good reviews, but still no specifics. Is Sony hiding these numbers on purpose? Anyone have any information on this 19" Sony Bravia?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sony 19-inch Bravia M Series LCD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sony Bravia 19'' LCD - No Specs Available?

Well, I called Sony help line, and after a half hour of the guy going back and forth and putting me on hold, he gave me more specs:
Viewing angle: 178/178
Response Time: 6 milliseconds
Contrast Ratio: 2400:1

I think the contrast ratio isn't so great, even if it is a 19" LCD. Does anyone have any opinions on this 19" Sony?

o
RE: Sony Bravia 19'' LCD - No Specs Available?

While any company can say 178 degree viewing angle, if you try to watch any LCD TV way off axis you will be disappointed with the contrast and brightness.

And you can't compare contrast ratio from different mfgr's. There is no industry standard for how to measure this.

My opinion about Sony not having more detailed specs posted. Most people buying a 19" LCD TV are using it as a 2nd or 3rd TV and just don't care about specs. It is a usually a bedroom or office TV. They just want it to work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here