Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which are 'sim card' phones?

Posted by ilmbg (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 19:08

I am looking at T-Mobile monthly plans. I have a couple phones that are less than 3 years old- from Alltell/At%T/Cricket. I don't think these are sim card type of phones. What can you tell me please. Also, what about 'gps' tracking- all the controversy about how companies use it?? I would think it is a good thing if a person is missing and usually has his/her phone with them, but hear/read about companies using it in a wrong manner. Just what could someone use it 'in a wrong manner'? I think no matter what kind of phone you have companies #and internet servers# sell info about you. If you are doing nothing wrong, why would anyone care, unless they are selling things like SS#, income, etc. Thanks for the help understanding...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which are 'sim card' phones?

Unfortunately it's more complicated that just having a SIM card (which would identify a GSM phone). AT&T is GSM but they use different frequencies that T-Mobile does. How that would effect using an old phone on T-Mobile is something you would have to look into.

Cricket is definitely CDMA. Not sure about Alltel.

o

Ok, thanks. They did flash my neighbors Verizon-

o

Verizon, Spring, Cricket, and other) use a cellular technology called CDMA (vs. GSM of AT&T and T-Mobile). CDMA phones lack a SIM card need to be programmed by the carrier. It may be possible for a carrier to reprogram a CDMA phone from another carrier. It's likely going to depend on the carrier and that specific phone.

Of course, most carriers with give you a free phone or sell you an inexpensive phone with a 2 year contract.

o

mike- the 2 year program is exactly what I want to get away from! I am looking at T-Moble prepay- will just have to go look at what phones they have i guess1 thanks

o

> Cricket is definitely CDMA. Not sure about Alltel

Alltel is/was CDMA. They were bought out by Verizon Wireless a few years back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here