Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Internet TV/Netflix/Roku etc

Posted by sushipup (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 11 at 19:02

We have a Samsung BluRay player with internet function, and we hooked it up to our wireless system to watch Netflix movies.

We got the BluRay player at least 2++ years ago, and I suspect that it was one of the first less expensive ones (under $200) that was internet-ready. The player has functioned pretty well as a player, altho we have to remove the disc and reseat it about 20% of the time. The picture will freeze on the FBI warning unless we start over.

So, the Netflix works a little less well. As in, about half the time it doesn't work, it wants us to re-register and re-set-up, etc. So we quit doing the online Netflix because it was a PITA.

Now, I'm think that the problem is a less-than good BluRay player. It works fine (tolerable) for the primary function, tho.

So, would our solution best be 1) get a new BluRay player, or 2) add a Roku box, dedicated to online movies?

Or is there another solution we should look at?

(As I tell my husband, Bill Gates doesn't have to fumble to watch what he wants. Jim is convinced that Gates has an army of house elves that take care of everything for him, and that he couldn't set up a TV system all by himself if he had to.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Internet TV/Netflix/Roku etc

It seems that it very much depends on whether or not you own any or plan on renting BluRay movies again.

Have you updated the software of your BluRay player? Many have the ability to download updates from the manufacturer's website.

o

Every time we try to do the software update on the BluRay, it times out or doesn't complete or some other glitch. So, no it hasn't been updated, but only because that function also does not seem to work correctly.

And yes, we want to watch our own dvd's and rent others. But like I said, that function seems to work tolerably well.

o

The firmware can usually be updated via an internet connection, a CD-R, or a USB thumb drive.

I have found from testing prototypes, the most reliable firmware upgrades are usually from a USB drive first, CD-R next, and the internet last.

Try going to the mfgs website and downloading the update file (for the appropriate media) and instructions. A two year old BluRay player without a single firmware update is bound to have it's share of problems. Quite a few brand new players need to updated right out of the box.

o

Thanks. Jim has his chore for the long weekend. Will report back and see how well it works.

o

It looks like the USB drive worked perfectly. Thanks VERY much for the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here