Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camcorder help...digital vs. cassette tapes??

Posted by stephmc72 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 26, 06 at 18:54

I currently have an outdated model camcorder that takes mini cassettes. When it was originally purchased, it was considered one of the better models. It's probably 8 or so years old now.

I've seen digital camcorders that record onto memory cards or mini DVD's. I thought they looked pretty neat but I really know nothing about them.

I'm completely camcorder illiterate and just need some help on understanding the true differences and advantages/disadvantages to each, and also what would you recommend?

Anyone care to give it to me in kindergarden terms? LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camcorder help...digital vs. cassette tapes??

I really need some advice too! Anyone?

o
RE: Camcorder help...digital vs. cassette tapes??

Digital camcorders still can take cassetes.There is the Hi8 formate and the Mini DV.Both take a tape that have a 1 hour record time.You can then hook the camcorder up to either your computer and down load the tape to your harddrive or to DVD if you have a DVD burner.Or you can hook your camcorder to you TV to watch the video home movies.Or record it to a VCR tape or to DVD with a DVD recorder.That is how I do mine using my Hi8 digital Sony Camcorder hooked to my Pioneer DVD recorder.Makes a DVD that works on all DVD player I record mine to a DVD-R Disk.

I also just purchased a Sony Mini DV camcorder that is much smaller then my Hi8 Sony.Weighs just 15oz with the battery and tape.About the size of a 38mm camera.I also considered a Mini DVD camcorder that records on a mini DVD that will work in most DVD players.But I decided I would want my Home movies on a full sized DVD so I went with the Mini DV.

Most electronics TV'S and DVD recorders and VCR'S have front jacks for connecting so transferring to a different format other then the HI8 and MiniDV tape is easy.Also connecting to a computer with a Fire wire is simple to do.

I feel small compact and light weight is the best feature to consider.If the camcorder is small light weight and easy to use.You will find that you will use it and take it along more often then a bulky camcorder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here