Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
viewing perspective

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 4, 11 at 16:27

i sit about 6ft from a 23" lcd in my home office. i have a 42" lcd that is in the family room that i sit about 12ft from. i think the apparent screen size is similar. but i also think the 23" unit seems sharper. is it because i am closer? both are 1080p so maybe it is a wash. i had a 53" hd rptv that i sat 7' from as a test. whoa. gave me a headache.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: viewing perspective

Joe - the 23" seems sharper because it is sharper. You're taking the same number of lines and pixels of information but stretching them out on to a larger 42" display.

It's similar to looking at a picture in the newspaper at arms length, and then holding it up real close where you see all the dots. Look at the 42" up-close and you'll see the dots, or in this case, the pixels. Look at the 23" up-close, which will have much finer dots, or pixels, and of course appear sharper.

Don't know the type (DLP or CRT), or resolution of the rear projection television you had, but "subjective picture quality" can become very complicated when trying to compare various displays.

o

I went askew on my point. I wanted to ask about screen size. Would a 23" tv viewed from 6 ft seem the same size as a 32" viewed from 12'? Approximately?

o

No.

At double the distance you would need double the screen size to have the same apparent size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here