Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
POTS phone extension over local ethernet?

Posted by rwiegand (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 16:20

Through a mess up in communication I got a gigabit ethernet line installed underground between the house and workshop, but they didn't run a second wire for the phone. I'm wondering if there is an inexpensive device I can use that will permit the analog phone signal to be transmitted via ethernet? Like this :

house land line <--> converter <-ethernet-> converter <--> extension phone

I'm not looking to go on the external internet or for a VOIP service. I just want the phone to ring in the shop when it rings in the house. I need all the wires in the cat6 cable for the ethernet connection, so can't spare a pair for phone. I've found an alphabet soup of telephone arcana via google that will let you connect your phones from Bangalore to alaska to the home office in New york for thousands of dollars, but I'm hoping for a consumer grade product that will just let me easily have a single extension without a PhD in network technology.

Or should I just pay the extra many hundred bucks for another conduit and cable? (getting one wire through was apparently a hard pull, I don't think I can pull a second in the same 1/2" conduit.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: POTS phone extension over local ethernet?

Are you sure you really need a gigabit connection from your house to your workshop? The gigabit connection does nothing for your internet connection and is only useful for very high speed data transfers on computers or NAS within your LAN. Are you using equipment with true gigabit ports and performance on them? Do you really need that kind of LAN speed?

If not, just break out an unused 10/100 pair from the CAT6 before the terminating connector at each end to use for your POTS. By definition, any VOIP adapter whether LAN or WAN is no longer POTS and will require an active network.

While it's possible to design a low pass/high pass filter to separate the two, the same as is used for DSL delivered over phone lines to the house, it will inherently drop your speed back down to a 10/100 Mbps LAN.

o

There are places where I need (want) the high speed link, for transferring video files that I'm editing between machines and NAS, but I don't need that in the shop. I was told (incorrectly?) that slow links anywhere would drop the network speed everywhere. I was using the excuse of moving into a new house for upgrading all of my switches and wiring to gigabit capability. The central connection point is planned to be a Netgear ProSafe Plus Gigabit switch. If running this line at 10/100 speed won't mess up the rest I'll happily do that. I guess I need to read more.

o

I looked at the Netgear website and that line of switches offer 10/100/1000 auto-sensing on each port - as well as user configuration capabilities.

If you have a 10/100 device on one port and Gigabit (1000) devices on other ports, the switch should just set each port speed accordingly.

Occasionally, you may have to manually configure a port if the the auto-sensing can't determine a device's duplex mode and drops to 1/2 duplex on 10/100 devices.

Nice feature with that Netgear switch is the configuration software will also allow you to prioritize video data packets over selected ports which should be perfect for your video editing suite.

o

Thanks, that seems to be right and nicely solves my problem. Appreciate the prompt to look in that direction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here