Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

hdtv/tivo/sony 800 receiver/tw cable

oldalgebra
14 years ago

Formally, I had a Visio TV, a Tivo Box (with cards so that I can record 2 programs at once), and Time Warner cable service. All were hooked up and working properly.

Recently, I decided to add ceiling speakers (getting old and don't hear like we used to) and a Blu-Ray DVD player. So I bought a Sony DH800 Receiver in hopes of eventually using a universal remote.

Each manual (TV, Tivo, Receiver, DVD player) shows how to hook up to one or two of the other components, but no manual shows how to hook up all four. I've poured over the instruction manuals. The speakers and the DVD player seem straight forward - just connect them directly into the receiver.

1. First question: Into what do I run my cable wire? It currently runs into my TIVO box.

2. I had one HDMI cable running to the TIVO as well as a second cord with three RCA-looking jacks with red, white and yellow heads running into the TIVO as well. (I seem to remember that the cable guy said I needed the second one to record two channels.)

a) Do I keep these same cords out from my TV, except plug them into the receiver instead? Or do they remain plugged into the TIVO?

b) Can I use two HDMI cables instead of one HDMI and the RCA-looking one?

3. Does the TIVO box get connected to the receiver with an HDMI cord as well?

Honesly, I've tried and tried to figure it all out, but I'm afraid I'll wreck something if I put it in incorrectly.

Can anyone help with connections and the proper cords? I would be so greatful. I have construction going on in my house right now and would be able to run the cords in the wall with little problem if I do it within the next few of days.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz