Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tv prices

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 22, 11 at 11:28

I notice the 32"size LCD is the new loss leader. Most stores have several $200 models. I need a 26" unit for my kitchen corner and am bummed to see the avg price seems to be $300. It's easy to find a $100 19" unit but that's too small. 20 yrs ago a 27" CRT cost $300. How can a 32" LCD cost less now? Wages and materials cost more now? Life is funny.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tv prices

The 32" size is economical since it fits into into one of the previous standards used by many of the glass panel manufactures - kind of like cutting a sheet of plywood into equal pieces with no waste. So the actual television manufactures can get them at a good price.

I did see that Costco is currently advertising a 24" 1080p Hannspree television under $200.

Happy Shopping!

o

Yay I don't need anything. I do want one though. Yes, lots of 22-24" sets for ok prices. Really want a 26".

o

"I did see that Costco is currently advertising a 24" 1080p Hannspree television under $200."

yosemitebill, this television brand gets rave reviews without a doubt. Never heard of it until you posted.

Thanks, ellie

o

Thanks Ellie,

Yeah, Hannspree is little known, but I have worked with them over the the past few years and they seem to be OK.

It's amazing how few television manufactures there are that build the televisions sold by the television brands - and then quite a few of them are only a brand name owned by an investment company.

I wish sometimes I wasn't so involved in the design and engineering side of consumer electronics - I enjoyed the innocence of thinking Zenith was an American manufacturer in Chicago, and not just a name bought by LG in Korea!

o

Target had a 24" sceptre for 170 online. Tried to order it using iPad and it would not go thru. Ordered it using notebook and it accepted order. Odd?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here