Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mister_h

Burned CD-R won't play in car CD player...

mister_h
18 years ago

Burned CD-R would play on home CD/DVD players but my car CD player just spits back out. Any idea how to make it play on car stereo system?

Comments (34)

• cseyer
    18 years ago

Some common things to try:

1. Make sure its a CD-R and not a CD-RW.

2. Try burning at a slower speed like 4x.

3. Try a different brand of media, some players are picky.

And finally you may find that your car CD player just wont play CD-R's. So you may have to give up or replace the system.

• gjg365
    18 years ago

I had the same problem and found that the gold Maxells would playback but the silver Memorex would not. I also burned it at a lower speed. I have heard that people have more luck with darker CDs. Good luck.

• roadtrip
    18 years ago

I would also want to ask about what type of media your burning to the CD. Reason being, the CD player in my car will do recorded CD's, but won't do MP3's. I have to rip the CD using CDA files instead of MP3's.

Just a thought!
    Shannon

• rippit_oggfrog_com
    18 years ago

There are several reasons audio CD-Rs might not play. Some of them are quite technical, and not at all obvious. I discuss some of them in my article at the link below. It's the first in a series of digital music how-to articles that I have planned.

A disturbing problem is that the non-standard, high-capacity 80 minute, 700 MB discs won't play in many older players. Sometimes they even get stuck, so you have to forcibly pry the player open to get the disc out!

The solution of course is to use standards-compliant 72 minute, 650 MB media. The problem is that it's getting very hard to find anymore - I'm unable to find it anywhere. If anyone can tell me where to buy it online, I'd be happy to link it from my article.

Rippit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Can't I Play the CDs That I Burn?

• mister_h
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK, it sounds like if CD is burned in CD-DA format, it should play but not in CD-ROM format. So, is there anyway to control that in a pc so that CD is always burned in CD-DA format?

• cseyer
    18 years ago

There is no specific way it depends on the burning software you are using. Look for something that says "Music CD" that's what Nero and Roxio call it. And you have to choose it each time you burn as far as I know there is no way to default it.

• Stephen Zimmett
    15 years ago

IÂve had a problem downloading cd music. IÂve tried a number of cd burner applications including itunes. When I download music using Itunes, the disc keeps popping out.
    Just tried cd burner xp and it seems to work fine. But then a problem occurs. I can play the cd in my DVD player, but when I try to use it in my cd stereo and my car, the cd wonÂt play. I believe there is a problem with my computer. Tried downloading operating system windows xp- home edition but when it completed, the window said incomplete. Obviously, a problem with my computer. Perhaps you could tell me what files are corrupted, thanks Steve Zimmett

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

Not all of them will play CDR's (home, car or portable CD players)

It's a function of the player

• lizvin3_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Some songs on my ripped cd will not play in the car cd player. Usually the first song never plays and the middle songs are fine. If I fast foward to the song it will play. My brother-in-law said to use a slower speed to get a deeper cut. I tried that but it also failed. Any ideas??

• Larryw314
    13 years ago

what I have learned is this: Windows Media Player and Realplayer both programs are the culprits when it comes to problems playing burned cds in my car cd player. I can play cds that I burned 6 years AGO ON PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF THESE SOFTWARE PRODUCTS. Yet now, that I have updated to the latest versions, I am having some real issues. I believe that Realplayer and Windows Media have sold out to the record companies, and have put certain restrictions in their software to prohibit playing on certain automobile cd players. I have a 2002 Buick and again, my older burned cds which were created on older versions of Windows Media Player and Realplayer play perfectly, but any cds burned on the latest versions of these products are a no go! My computer was built in January of 2011 and It operates on Windows 7.

• yosemitebill
    13 years ago

While this is a rather old post but it appears the last post is legit so I'll add a follow up as well.

Windows Media Player and RealPlayer are probably two of the more popular burners, and of course others, such as Nero are quite popular too.

A few tips regarding burning Audio CDs -

Use CD-R and not CD-RW.

Make sure the blank discs are fairly new - no more than a year or two old as the dye layers, that you are writing in to, can and do deteriorate.

Be sure not to use too fast of a burn speed as to not get buffer-under-run. Too slow and you get buffer-over-run.

Also make sure that you have indicated in the program for burning the disc that this is an Audio CD and not Data CD. This sets a flag bit on the lead-in to the CD that allows the CD player to "know" what kind of CD it's looking at.

Along the same lines, CD-Rs for Audio can also be purchased which have this flag already set on the disc and these may work better. Older stand alone recorders actually require this type of disc due to royalty agreements at the time.

• Larryw314
    13 years ago

The cds I used are brand new, and I burned my cds at a slower speed (4x) and they were CD-R cds, but my car won't play them, and again, my car will play older cds that were burned 5-6 years ago on (older) versions of RealPlayer and Windows Media. I also tried Win amp and Nero. No such luck.
    I believe "there is someting rotten in Denmark" and I believe that the newer versions of these burners are the culprits. It is a case of Old vs New. That's my story and i am stickin' to it!

• yosemitebill
    13 years ago

Larry,

While I do enjoy your cynicism and humor, i don't think the software is to blame here.

The software to burn the disc will, if enabled to respect DRM (digital rights management), will just prevent your ability to burn.

If the original CDs used one of the various copy protection processes attempted 10-15 years ago, the ripped copy on your PC would not playback correctly.

So, you got me thinking about this and I did come up with a theory regarding you problem:

If your 5-6 year old CDs were burned on a CD-R drive, and now you are using a CD/DVD-R there is a difference. CDs technically use a laser of a different wavelength (longer) than DVDs and their recording layer is 1.2 mm under the polycarbonate versus 0.6 mm for DVD.

Most current CD/DVD drives will simply refocus the laser to accommodate CDs but the pits/landings recorded will be slightly different than a CD-R only drive, and may be less able to be read by your CD player.

I'm very inclined to think that if you could burn using a CD-R only drive, Denmark would smell a whole lot better!

• Larryw314
    13 years ago

Yosemitebill, fianally I found someone with brains and commonsense. My older computer was only a cd-r drive and not a cd/dvr drive with "lightscribe" technology. I have encountered so many web sites and blogs and no one, except you, has put this together. I truly believe you have "hit the nail on the head"! My hat is off for you, and I salute you most gallant "techy"!

• yosemitebill
    13 years ago

Why thank you Larry. In order to observe the "most gallant techy" honor you bestowed upon me, I went to Burger King and requested one of their cardboard "king's crown" to wear today!!

Not really, but thank you all the same!

• kevin3954_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I had the same problem when burning with windows media player because I was too cheap to buy Nero for $99.00. So I downloaded a free trial of Nero and burned to a silver memorex 700mb cd as a audio CD at 8x speed. Worked like a charm in my 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche. Now I will have to fork out the $99.00 after all because its cheaper then buying a whole new system right now

• goodvibrato_swbell_net
    12 years ago

This is so frustrating. You'd think a "compact disc player" could play a frickin' compact disc no matter what brand it is. I have tried using 2 different brands: Sony and Verbatim. In Nero I made sure it was an audio disc and it burned in CDA as expected. Put it in my car (2004 Toyota Camry) and the damn thing still doesn't play!!!! I just can't believe this crap. How is a car manufacturer like Toyota so frickin' stingy it can't even put a decent CD player in a car. My frickin' 1999 Honda frickin' Civic plays everything beautifully.

• pnpoop7_gmail_com
    12 years ago

So.......iburnt 20 cds until I read this......I believe the cd brand is to blame.........silver memorex is a no go. PENIS SUCKER

• steeler63w_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I too have been dealing with this problem. spend hours/money trying different disks, programs, write speeds, disabling programs thinkning they were interfering. i was so pissed off! i've been burning data cd for i have too many songs for audio. i have an 06 ford with an mp3 compatable player. one day over at my parents house i decided to try the cds in my moms new camry. they worked fine! again i was pissed cause now im thinking i need a new cd player for my truck. what i have yet to try is cleaning the player. radio shack sells a car cd player cleaner. im gonna give that a shot. if it doesnt work yosemitebill's idea will be my next move.after that i guess a new player arrgh!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Hi,

We were getting frustrated not being able to play our newly burned CR-RWs on our 2002 Toyota..and before we read anything on this forum we tried burning the music again this time on TDK CD Rs and voila they work!! My husband brought these disks home from the dump and they turned out to be a great value!! Our Roxio program burned the CDs at 4x...

Donna

• Eller432
    10 years ago

I used a new Verbatim CD-R disk and burned some music on it with Wondershare Audio Recorder. The CD player in my 2009 Camry would not recognize the disk although it played on various computers. I burned a second disk using Windows Media Player (on Vista Home) and set the burn speed to "Medium." My Camry CD player recognized that disk and could play the music. I have not experimented with a burn speed faster than Medium (which doesn't give a lot of play time). And I don't know if the switch to Windows Media Player or the slower burn rate was my solution. But things to try...

• Corey1978
    10 years ago

An opinion please....My vehicle is a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado, but the only cds I've ever really played in it, rarely an actual cd, I had never had problems before, I had had the whole time I guess used either Memorex or Maxell, well after the store that carries the Memorex discs half the time doesn't have it in stock, and the store I would get the Maxell from wants $25 for a 50 pack, so recently Walmart started carrying Sony 50 packs in this area, so I started using those, plus everyone I've ever spoken to has always told me Sony was the best, but after switching, I've had problems getting the player to accept the discs, sometimes they get hung in there too, yesterday I put one of my previously burned Maxell discs in, it went in fine, played and came back out fine, today I put the Sony disc in it, and kept on rejecting it, regardless of how many times I tried it, I've always used CD-R no matter what brand, and the only files I've ever used to burn with is either mp3 or wma, 99% use wma formats

• Corey1978
    10 years ago

An opinion please....My vehicle is a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado, but the only cds I've ever really played in it, rarely an actual cd, I had never had problems before, I had had the whole time I guess used either Memorex or Maxell, well after the store that carries the Memorex discs half the time doesn't have it in stock, and the store I would get the Maxell from wants $25 for a 50 pack, so recently Walmart started carrying Sony 50 packs in this area, so I started using those, plus everyone I've ever spoken to has always told me Sony was the best, but after switching, I've had problems getting the player to accept the discs, sometimes they get hung in there too, yesterday I put one of my previously burned Maxell discs in, it went in fine, played and came back out fine, today I put the Sony disc in it, and kept on rejecting it, regardless of how many times I tried it, I've always used CD-R no matter what brand, and the only files I've ever used to burn with is either mp3 or wma, 99% use wma formats

{{!gwi}}

• thegaryhardy
    10 years ago

I agree with Larryw314. Its Windows software.

I have the same pack of new CD-R's that I have burned CD's with and they still play perfectly.

However since I have done a windows update, it will now not burn any CD's or DVD's that will play in my car CD player or DVD player, where as before the update, it played perfectly.

Something has been done to Windows so that it does not matter what programme you use, it will not burn the CD's so it will play in a car system.

• Dan Perry
    8 years ago

I found that if I put a cd label on the cd it played. I could see my writing in sharpie through the cd and the cd laser could as well, could not connect to the data. Label fixed the problem.

• roswellgrey
    8 years ago

Sounds like maybe the darker color thing mentioned above may also play into it. My 2001 Grand Cherokee ( factory am/fm/cd/casette player) will not recognize burned CDs. i am currently using my laptop with XP and have tried windows player, I-tunes and BurnerXP but haven't noticed any different results from any of that different software. After going thru about 30 cds burning at different speeds and formats, I finally got it to occasionally recognize one I burnt at around 4X using PCM .wav (uncompressed) format but to recognize and play I usually have to fast forward it thru a couple of songs while it is doing the initial read. Once it recognizes and starts playing then will usually play the whole CD but doesn't always work for whatever reason. I may try the label thing or try to find some of the "dark" cds to see if that matters. We have a 98 KIA witn an aftermarket cd player and it will play just about anything burnt to cd no matter format or speed.

• snorris3333
    7 years ago

I finally figured this out. I have a 96 GMC Jimmy that would only play burned Memorex CD-Rs (or so I thought). I ran out of the 100 spindle that worked and bought more Memorex's. They would not play, no matter what I did. I played with the burning speed, file type, etc. etc. Today I looked more closely at the CDs that play in it and I realized that they are 40x instead of the more prevalent 52x. I went and bought a spindle of 25 Verbatim 40x Audio CD-Rs, burned two at max possible speed, and they play perfectly in the Jimmy. BTW, Memorex has discontinued their 40x discs.

• nipy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I had the similar problem and I've solved it. It's a little bit longer way but it works. First I convert flac or any other codec format to WMA. (I use Freemake audio converter). Then I burn the files in Media Player burner to Audio format and it works fantastic in older and new cd players as well.

• snorris3333
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hey folks, I found the answer. Buy blanks that are 40x instead of 52x. They work every time for me, formatting or burn speed makes no difference. I burn them at max possible and they work fine. They are getting hard to find and the price is a little more, but they work.....https://www.amazon.com/Memorex-40x-Music-CD-R-Media/dp/B00005JDDZ

Sorry for the repeat info, but I thought it is worth it.

• Matthew Tarillion
    4 years ago

Hey guys wierd fix i found... i have a 2003 corolla. It Would not play the silver Verbatim CD-R. All I did was stick a white label over the CD and it plays just fine now. Maybe something about the reflective silver confusing the player? Try sticking a label over it....

• HU-147088268
    2 years ago

for my case its the burner software. Wasted numerous trials n CDs. At last this software works Power2Go by Cyberlink. Works for both CDR n CDRW, plays well in my car.

• mtvhike
    2 years ago

Many cars now don't have CD players, so, for my newer car (2018), I have to rip my CDs to flash drives. Of course, my older car (2008) won't read the flash drives so I have to go back to the CDs for that!

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Sometimes the problem is that the CD isn't in the right format for a CD player to read.

When burning a CD, most software offers the option of "audio disk". That's the right format. If the CD is in read/write format instead, it's still open for changes (in a PC connected drive) and many standalone CD players, as in a car, won't read them.