Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Separate amp and pre-amp vs. an A/V receiver?

Posted by tobr24u (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 8, 06 at 9:48

Will the sound be better using these separate components with good speakers than using a fairly expensive A/V receiver? I am still debating a total upgrade of my stereo system and wondered if I should go all the way. I currently have a good Onkyo A/V and CD changer but, as mentioned, have been thinking of giving up my old B&Ws for new and more expensive speakers. But if my Onkyo can't provide the best amplification then would I be wasting my time with new speakers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Separate amp and pre-amp vs. an A/V receiver?

It depends on the efficiency (sensitivity in db's) of the speakers and the resistance (ohms) of the speakers. If you get speakers that are 89 dbs in sensitivity and 6-8 ohms in resistance your Onkyo-if it is a reasonably powered one, should do fine. There are inexpensive multichannel professional amplifiers made by Behringer, Peavy, Crown, etc. that one could connect to the Onkyo, using the Onkyo as the Preamp surround controller.

Certainly if you are getting lower sensitivity speakers at 4 ohms, it is likely that either a more powerful receiver or a powerful amp is in your future.

o
RE: Separate amp and pre-amp vs. an A/V receiver?

Thanks for the input. The speakers should be fine and the Onkyo should be OK, too, as it is not entry level but a few notches up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here