Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HD DVD Worth It?

Posted by chisue (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 25, 06 at 9:47

Before the DirecTV installer comes to upgrade our five-year-old system for HDTV, should I buy a HD DVD player? What is recommended? What is a good price?

The DirecTV package includes new dish, box and "TiVo-like" DVD recorder/player, but that will only play what it has recorded. DH and I frequently rent DVDs from Blockbuster or our library.

Also, would we need to replace our five-year-old Yamaha receiver? (AV receiver HTR 5460 CinemaDSP digital) It's part of our surround sound system.

Our monitor is Sony XBR WEGA. It's "HD Ready". (KV-36XBR450)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HD DVD Worth It?

Neighbor has an LCD projector, several years old, in a home theater room. I don't know what size is his screen, but it's larger than any big-screen TV. He got an HD player couple months ago, I think Toshiba? I'm not intimately familiar with the two formats at war, but I don't think it's a Blue-Ray. Anyway, I *CAN* see an appreciable difference on his screen with his projector. However, we brought the player to try on my 42" Panasonic HD plasma that's about 4 years old, and I *don't* see a difference there. We watched Van Helsing, which admittedly has a lot of dark scenes, but if there is any difference it's not enough in *my* case to justify the expense of a format change, not based on *that* particular title.

Which bears out what what the neighbor said and what I've observed ... that the improvement isn't much seen except on a 50" screen or larger.

o
RE: HD DVD Worth It?

Thanks, dadoes! I'd forgotten about the DVD "wars" over Blu-Ray and the other mode of DVD player. I think we'll stick with our plain vanilla player until the dust settles. Maybe it will never be worth replacing the current player if our 36" tube monitor won't reflect any difference. Thanks for that information; I'll look into it further.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here