Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need HELP quickly re: big camera and uploading

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 29, 08 at 8:15

Hi all,
My son is a college student in telecommunications. He's home for Thanksgiving, and has a big film project due in a couple days. He unfortunately waited until now to do the filming, because he wanted to use my husband's office for the film location.
He has borrowed a really nice camera (Canon XL2) from his old high school T-COM department. The problem is: he can't seem to get ANY computer (he's tried about 4-5) to accept input from it. This means he can't upload the film or edit it. He's tried taking the actual film cassette and putting it into someone else's camera and trying to upload it onto their computer, and that doesn't work either.
They've supposedly got all the possible info on the Canon website, but nothing was helpful. I'm trying to convince them to call them directly.....but DH doesn't seem to want to "ask for directions"! Unfortunately, it being a holiday weekend makes it even harder to get help anywhere.
They spent about 13 hours yesterday trying to upload this film without success. He and my husband have tried everything to get it to upload to a computer, and it just won't work. They're very frustrated and say they've tried everything. They're both fairly computer savvy.

Any wild ideas that might help??
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need HELP quickly re: big camera and uploading

The solution is in the details that you didn't include. By film cassette, do you mean a tape? In digital format? The camera has a FireWire connection? What operating system is on the computer involved?

You probably will have to find software to install on the computer to read the FireWire input from the camera.

o
RE: Need HELP quickly re: big camera and uploading

Thanks dadoes,
My husband just called from where my son is filming and said that they finally got it uploaded. They had to borrow someone else's camera, and then they were able to upload the film to the computer for editing.
Yes, I meant a cassette, and yes, the camera and computers have a firewire connection.
We still don't know why the big camera wouldn't let the upload happen......but I think you might be right about needing some software.
Unfortunately, his T-Com instructor had never used this model, and probably didn't even know you needed the software.
As a last resort, they borrowed someone else's little home camera, and it allowed them to upload it to the computer.......so all is well. Crisis averted! Although my son will be up all night editing.........but that's better than not being able to do it.
Now on to the next crisis. ;)
Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here