Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stereo to TV connection

Posted by haus_proud (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 0:11

We are planning to get a large flat panel tv, and we wonder if it makes sense to connect our stereo audio to the tv. Our stereo is a 30 year old Bang & Olufsen. Although sound systems are greatly improved in the last few decades, we still thought using our old system would give us better sound than what the tv comes with.

Comments?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stereo to TV connection

Well, there really isn't any reason why you shouldn't connect it to the audio output of the television.

As long as it is still functioning properly: no noisy or scratchy controls, no static, pops, or hum in the audio, insulation is okay on the power cord and you are happy with it... why not? You may need to relocate your speakers so they are equally to the right/left of the screen, and run an RCA stereo audio cable between the display and audio system, but that's about it.

Now if you decide at some point you want to have 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound from your DVD or Blu-ray player, then you will need to layout, purchase, and install a new system. But in the meantime you haven't lost anything.

Realistically, 30 years can be pushing it as far as the life of some of the electronic components used on the circuit boards inside the equipment, but B&O (especially 30 years ago) almost always spec'd premium grade components. So, there may not be too much concern there. Just do what feels right to you and not what somebody tells you "need."

o

The B&O equipment will easily last 30 years, as it's extremely well made stuff, however, you will definitely need DIN to RCA connectors in order to use with your TV set. Determine how much cable length between the TV set and the stereo that you need and look for a 5 pin male DIN to 2 RCA male cable.

be sure that your TV set has audio output jacks on the jack panel in the back, and you will probably have to go into the TV's audio menu and select output to those jacks.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 pin male DIN connector to 2 male RCA connector

o

As long as the TV has an audio output. I bought an LG TV and was very surpised to find when I got it home NO Audio output. I should have checked closer before I bought it, but I was more concerned about how many inputs it had.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here