Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HDTV converter box set up question

Posted by irislover7b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 19, 08 at 0:08

I got a Magnavox converter box and had no trouble hooking it up to the tv. I used the set up wizard and wasn't sure which choice to make when I got to "desired display mode". The choices were "Letterbox", "Zoom" or "Full". Letterbox was at the top of the list so I left it there. The instructions didn't explain the differences in them. Was Letterbox the right one, or should I have chosen one of the others?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HDTV converter box set up question

It depends on the format of the broadcast, the size of your TV screen, and the distance you watch from.

I watch a 27" tv from about 10 feet away. If the show I am watching is broadcast in Widescreen I watch it in Widescreen mode. If the show is broadcast in 4x3 then I watch it in Full mode.

If your screen is smaller or your viewing distance is further you may want to use full as the image may be too small to comfortably watch it.

I never use Zoom.

o
RE: HDTV converter box set up question

Thanks. I left it on Letterbox last night and the channel I was watching looked the same as before, except the picture was clearer and it had a narrow black section at the top and bottom of the screen. It's a small tv (maybe about 17" diagonally) and I don't have any idea how the stations are broadcast. I'll try Full tonight to see what it looks like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here