Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transformer amperage question for a guru

Posted by windslam (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 22:00

Can anyone give an idea on how to determine what the maximum amperage the secondary winding of a step down transformer would be, without over heating it?

The primary winding is (120vac) 126.7 ohms. The secondary winding (12vac) is 5.7 ohms. Any idea how many amps can be loaded on the transformer without causing it to heat excessively?

Here's what I'm up to....I have several strings of 5 halogen light the previous owner installed under the cabinets in the kitchen. 2 of the transformers burned out (open windings). Each string of lights draws 5 amps at 12vac. The cost to replace the transformers is just about the same as to replace the lights. I have a couple of salvaged transformers from other electronic equipment with 12vac outputs. Of course, there are no nomenclatures stamped on those to indicatemax. amps output. I'd like to use one of them to run 2 or 3 sets of the lights which will be 10-15 amps 12vac. I plan to put 5 amp fuses on each lead of each string of 5 lights. Again, each string contains 5 10 watt halogen bulbs.

Thanks in advance to any guru's who can show me the math to figure maximum amp capability on the secondary winding.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transformer amperage question for a guru

I don't think you could determine wattage from the info posted.

A better determination may be by physical size and weight, compared to a known similar transformer, such as one from RadioShack, but their 12v max is 3A. ($11)

There's a nice Halogen switching transformer on ebay

BuyItNow more than 10 available

120v input 12v 75w $13 shipped from USA 270458210358

o
RE: Transformer amperage question for a guru

regus.....I'm seeing that you are right. I posted the question also on the electrical wiring thread and the responses pretty much reinforced that. Thanks for taking the time to answer!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here