Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Signal Booster for cable TV?

Posted by blakeas (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 07 at 20:50

My bonus room above the garage is at the far end of the house. When I hook a TV into the cable outlet I get a very weak picture. After sorting through the cables in the attic it looks like it has been split along with being such a long run. Is their such a thing like a cable signal booster? any suggestions on boosting the cable signal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Signal Booster for cable TV?

It could be a problem if you have digital cable with an addressable box. Some boosters prevent the two-way communication necessary for the box to function properly. Additionally, they can cause problems for other people in your neighborhood.

Contact the cable company, hopefully they will send a tech to your house, free of charge, to check the decibel loss at the end of that run. Some cable companies offer a boost, for an additional charge, to increase the signal strength to your house. This can help both cable TV and broadband internet connections.

o

I have a motorola cable box from comcast - How do I know if it a booster will work with it?

o

Radio shack has a signal amplifier. Install it at the input end of the line going to the far side.

o

Call the cable company first,you should not be using boosters or signal amps,it is usually free of charge they can boost the signal from the pole(if the problem is on there end,which is usually the case),With an amp/booster you are asking for trouble.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here