Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gogwmos

connecting headphones to DVD player

gogwmos
11 years ago

I have used cordless headphones in our bedroom for years so I don't wake my husband and I just hooked up a DVD player but I can't get the headphones to work with it. I watch TV through a DirecTV HD DVR.

Here is what I have tried with no luck:

I have connected the headphone wire (from the headphone base) directly to the DVD, both using the same wires and with separate wires

I have switched the HDMI cable from the DVR to the DVD

I have turned off the DVR

Any other suggestions?

Comments (8)

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

Ideally, if your television provides a line audio output (RCA jacks) it would be best to connect base unit to them as the output would follow whatever device you watching.

I'm not sure why it is not working with the DVD player directly though - maybe a menu setting in the setup. What is the make and model number of the DVD player?

• gogwmos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yosimite, it is a Toshiba D-R410. Thanks!

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

Actually, I just happen to have the same DVD recorder/player (under the Costco model number) in one of our rooms. So, I just double checked and confirmed that the analog R/L audio is still available when using the HDMI output.

The audio OUTPUT is the second set of of red/white connectors when viewing the back of the DVD player (from left to right). Make sure you have the proper connection.

Again though, does your television have line level audio output connections? Do you have the make/model number of the television?

• gogwmos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The TV is Panasonic mode4l TC-P42C1.

I have only one set of connectors, they are the black, red and yellow ones to the first outlet.

I have no idea what line level audio output connections are.

Thanks!

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

Unfortunately, your Panasonic TV does not have an analog audio - only digital.

When looking at the back of your Toshiba DVD player, the first set of jacks are video/audio INPUT. The next set of jacks are video/audio OUTPUT, which is what you want to connect the input of the headphone base to. They are labeled "audio output" and "L/R" which are the white/red colored jacks.

• gogwmos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yosimite, I tried those jacks, still nothing. Since I don't have analog will it not work? I think I will call Sennheiser tomorrow to see if they can help. Thanks though!

• gogwmos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is fixed! A guy on the computer forum walked me through several scenarios and we found the one that works!

• kaza99
    11 years ago

which one is best LED TV to buy? many electronic show rooms are suggesting samsung is best. It has many features compared to sony and panasonic, LG. clarity of picture wise I feel sony looks good, but I heard it doesn't support many formats, devices like blue-ray etc.

I am confused. Could someone suggest which one is best one to buy?